Parallel and Series circuits and current

In summary: However, with the addition of D, the overall current in the circuit increases, which means the voltage drop across A also increases. This means the voltage drop across B decreases, which affects its brightness. In summary, the addition of D increases the overall current in the circuit, which affects the voltage drop across B and therefore its brightness.
motyapa

Homework Statement

2 different questions that I'm using to test my understanding of the physics concepts rather than the math:

1)
How does the brightness of bulb A compare to that of bulb C?
Hry6Jg6.png

After D is added how does the brightness of bulb A change?
Does the brightness of B change?
Does the current through the battery change?
BApySao.png

2)
qCk4QhQ.png

What is the current through 1, 2, 3?
What is the current through C, D, E?

Homework Equations

Less math more conceptual, so no equations to use (plus we haven't learned any equations for circuits yet)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
so for 1a I said that bulb A is brighter than bulb B/C because B & C are in parallel with each other, it increases the current through bulb A.

1b I said bulb A becomes brighter, because the addition of bulb D increases the current throughout the whole circuit. Bulb B does not change brightness because the current through its portion does not change, and the current through the battery increases since the overall current through the whole circuit increased.

For 2 I said the current through 1 is 60, equal to the bulb. For 2 I said it's 30, since 30 goes through B, which means 30 will go through C, so 30 reaches the battery equal to the bulb. For 3 I said it's 120, because D and E both have 60 mA since they're in parallel, so the total is 120.

Does my reasoning of these concepts seem good or am I off on something?

Physics news on Phys.org
All good, except how the addition of D affects B in 1. Think about the voltage drop across A.

Likes motyapa
I used this website to try and help me to reach my answer: http://epb.apogee.net/foe/fcspp.asp

it seems like adding more in parallel shouldn't change how bright the other parallel ones are? I'm confused why B should change.

Last edited by a moderator:
motyapa said:
I used this website to try and help me to reach my answer: http://epb.apogee.net/foe/fcspp.asp

it seems like adding more in parallel shouldn't change how bright the other parallel ones are? I'm confused why B should change.
You are assuming the voltage across B does not change.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a parallel and series circuit?

A parallel circuit is one in which the components are connected in separate branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch independently. In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in sequence.

2. How does current behave in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is equal to the sum of the currents in each individual branch. This means that the current is divided among the branches, with each branch receiving a portion of the total current.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the components, with each component receiving a portion of the total voltage. This means that the current is the same at all points in the circuit, as it is the only path for the voltage to flow.

4. How does adding more components affect the current in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, adding more components increases the resistance and decreases the current. This is because the total resistance in the circuit increases, making it more difficult for current to flow.

5. What is the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the resistance of any individual branch. This is because the current has multiple paths to flow through, reducing the overall resistance in the circuit.