Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would happen if normal force didnt exist?

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1

Gold Member

The title says it all.
    --thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Things would fall through your table, through the floor, through the ground till they reached the center of the Earth. Even the ground would fall to the center of the Earth. I guess every gravity well would become a black hole.

Force Normal holds things up. It balances the force of an object pushing down.

But don't worry, it can't happen.
  4. Nov 29, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Its hard to imagine how any life could possibly exist without it. I had know idea that it had such a great impact.
  5. Nov 29, 2005 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The normal force between a table and a book resting on it arises from the electrostatic repulsions between the electrons in the book and the electrons in the table.
    So, the Normal force is not a fundamental force. It is merely a consequence of the electrostatic force.
  6. Nov 30, 2005 #5
    i feel gravitational force of a body would keep increasing due to increasing mass and one more thing that would happen is theb reverse of the BigBang that is eventually we will end up with just a singular large mass at the center of the universe.
  7. Nov 30, 2005 #6
    i believe sidharth is right. but just imagine electrostatic force didnt exist but gravitational force existed
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?