Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What would mixing different radioactive materials do?

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    If I was to throw together I variety of radioactive materials into a pot, what would be the interaction between the different materials? If I threw together Barium and Polonium, what would happen? What if I added Cesium, Europium, and Strontium to the mix? What about throwing in Uranium? Will anything happen besides our giant blob of radioactive soup becoming more radioactive?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2017 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

One would have to look at the chemical properties of the elements.

Barium, cesium, europium and strontium, all have stable isotopes, but I think one is referring to the radioactive isotopes.

Polonium is chemically similar to tellurium or selenium, and strontium and barium form tellurides, SrTe and BaTe, so one would expect that Ba and Po would form barium polonide. Tellurides and selenides form semiconductors.

I'm not sure why one would to simply at Cs, Eu and Sr to a mix.

4. Mar 14, 2017 #3
    There will be just normal chemical interactions, nothing "nuclear" (unless you drop in fissile isotopes and form a critical mass). Each radioactive isotope will continue to decay as it was doing it alone.

5. Mar 14, 2017 #4
    Quite a Hot Pot, but I would not sit to that table, that's for sure...

6. Mar 14, 2017 #5
    I was wondering about chemical reactions specifically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted