What's a good book for 'Thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases'?

In summary, out of the four books listed, Zemansky's and Callen's books are highly recommended for their mathematical approach to thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases. Other suggested books include Sommerfeld's "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics," Sir James Jeans' "An Introduction to the Kinetic Theory of Gases," Wolfgang Pauli's "Statistical Mechanics," and an online tutorial by the same author. Additionally, Callen's book stands out for its clear explanations of concepts.
Tosh5457
The main book we'll be using will be Serway's, but I want a different book that's more focused on the mathematics formulation of thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases, and not so simple as Serway's.

The other 3 books in the discipline's bibliography are:
• M.W. Zemansky and R. H. Dittman, Heat and Thermodynamics, McGraw-Hill, 6th edition, 1981.

• H.B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatics, J. Wiley, 2nd edition, 1985.

• K. Wark, Thermodynamics, McGraw-Hill, 3rd edition, 1977.

Are any of those good for what I want? If not, what's a good one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zemansky´s book is a classic, well above Serway's.
I'd also consider Sommerfeld; another classic in spite of its "age"

Tosh5457 said:
The main book we'll be using will be Serway's, but I want a different book that's more focused on the mathematics formulation of thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases, and not so simple as Serway's.

The other 3 books in the discipline's bibliography are:
• M.W. Zemansky and R. H. Dittman, Heat and Thermodynamics, McGraw-Hill, 6th edition, 1981.

• H.B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatics, J. Wiley, 2nd edition, 1985.

• K. Wark, Thermodynamics, McGraw-Hill, 3rd edition, 1977.

Are any of those good for what I want? If not, what's a good one?

I agree with Gordianus on Zemansky. May I also suggest Sir James Jeans' classic "An Introduction to the Kinetic Theory of Gases" and Nobel laureate Wolfgang Pauli's highly mathematical "Statistical Mechanics" Both are available in inexpensive paperback editions.

These are tutorials on differential forms applied to Thermo. I like them because they are highly visual:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo-forms.htm
http://www.av8n.com/physics/partial-derivative.htm

There's also an online Thermo book written by the same author. The author has a lot to say about standard Thermo books.
Here's the summary of the book:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/summary.html
Here's the book:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/thermo/

I also found an extensive tutorial on gas laws, though I haven't read it:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/gas-laws.htm

I would recommend Callen. I used it when I took thermo as an undergrad, and I still remember marveling at how clearly it explained concepts.

1. What are some good books for studying thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases?

Some highly recommended books for studying thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases are "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, "Thermodynamics and Kinetics" by Thomas Engel and Philip Reid, and "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Frederick Reif.

2. Which book is best for beginners in thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases?

If you are new to the subject, "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder is a great book to start with. It provides a clear and intuitive introduction to the concepts of thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases.

3. Are there any online resources for studying thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases?

Yes, there are many online resources available for studying thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases. Some good ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. You can also find lecture notes and practice problems on various university websites.

4. Do these books cover both classical and statistical thermodynamics?

Yes, all of the mentioned books cover both classical and statistical thermodynamics. However, "Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics" by Frederick Reif is specifically focused on statistical thermodynamics.

5. Can these books be used for self-study or are they meant for classroom use?

All of these books can be used for self-study as they provide clear explanations and examples that make it easy to understand the concepts. However, they are also commonly used as textbooks in university courses on thermodynamics and kinetic theory of gases.