1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermodynamics and Statistical Thermodynamics References

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    Hi,
    i'm an Applied Physics student (2nd year).
    Could you please tell me a book to study thermodynamics from?
    I've studied from Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory, and Statistical Thermodynamics by Sears - Salinger and it is pretty good.
    Has anyone "tested" :
    1) An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Daniel V. Schroeder
    2) Heat and Thermodynamics by Mark W. Zemansky - Richard H. Dittman
    3) Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics by Herbert B. Callen
    4) Thermodynamics by Enrico Fermi ?

If someone has tried another textbook and they think it was realy helpfull, please let me know.
    Thanks, in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2
    Re: Thermodynamics

I used An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Daniel V. Schroeder last semester. It required a lot of derivation as part of the questions. If you want a book with more step-by-step help and sample problems worked out within the text, I'd look elsewhere. I have not tried any others to give you a better suggestion, however.

4. Feb 11, 2010 #3
    anyone some help??? please??

5. Feb 11, 2010 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Fermi's book is excellent. I also like Tolman's "principles of statistical mechanics".

6. Sep 13, 2010 #5
    I own a copy of Zemansky & Dittmar (1981), which I use as a (fairly good) reference. I tried to read Callen: I would never recommand that book to anybody because it assumes that enthalpy can be 'created' from internal energy by applying a Legendre Transform with respect to volume: It is Science Fiction.
    I do like Cengel (Introduction to thermodynamics and heat transfer), so may be Cengel & Boles (2006) is a good start.

7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    I used Zemansky & Dittman for undergrad, since Dittman was on the faculty where I did my undergrad. It was fine. I really did not need anything outside of it for an undergrad physics Thermo class. It was comprehensive enough for undergrad, I felt.

8. Sep 16, 2010 #7
    The best book I've every seen is Thermal Physics by Kittel and Kroemer. Clear, readable, and quite interesting.

9. Sep 17, 2010 #8
    There is a thread on this subject:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=149365&referrerid=219693

It suggests that Zemansky & Dittman might be a better choice then Kittel & Kroemer.
    This is also suggested by the number of edtions (re-)printed.

10. Sep 17, 2010 #9
    Fermi's book is too simple to be suitable as a text book but its like thermodynamics in 160 pages with most lucid explanation. Its an easy read, very small in size and teaches you most pure thermo concepts very clearly. No matter what textbook you go with, read fermi anyways.

As texts I recommend Zemansky or "Equilibrium Thermodynamics" by C.J Adkins. Adkins book is just awesome as a text.

11. Sep 23, 2010 #10
    Concepts in Thermal Physics by Blundell seems okay.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook