Whats left in physics to discover

• Thread starter MightyKaykoher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Theoretical physics is a way to model what we observe in the natural world. It's just a model, and like every other model it can be improved upon. Classical mechanics is pretty figured out but there is still research in the field today (mostly in mechanical engineering departments) to improve upon these models. Quantum mechanics does not make sense intuitively and there are different formulations, so there is obviously still research going on to better understand and model the quantum world. The same goes for relativity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, continuum mechanics, and many other branches of physics. These models can always be improved upon to make them more accurate. Maybe one day we will accurately model every phenomena... A huge goal in theoretical physics is
MightyKaykoher
Before I begin this thread, I will go ahead and tell you I do not have much experience in the field of physics. However in the past month I have done some independent studies in the field. But back to the topic...

Aristotle long ago said "The only thing I know for sure, is that I truly know nothing at all", but how much of this is true? Personally I live life by this quote but does anyone have a PHD in any branch in physics? Or do we have a theoretical physicist( employed )? If so, what is their that physicist do not understand in physics today? This will come as an opinion but if someone could provide an answer it would really truly help me out. Not a philosophical question here. Is their a specific part we do not know much about? Not looking for a philosophical answer either. Also, I have read fusion energy is soon to be active. I predict this will bring the need for physicists up. Does anyone have information on this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Theoretical physics is basically just a mathematical framework that models what we observe in the natural world. It's just a model, and like every other model it can be improved upon.

Classical mechanics is pretty figured out but there is still research in the field today (mostly in mechanical engineering departments) to improve upon these models.

Quantum mechanics does not make sense intuitively and there are different formulations, so there is obviously still research going on to better understand and model the quantum world.

The same goes for relativity, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, continuum mechanics, and many other branches of physics. These models can always be improved upon to make them more accurate. Maybe one day we will accurately model every phenomena...

A huge goal in theoretical physics is to devise a "Theory of Everything" which mathematically connects the four fundamental forces of nature, and therefore describe all phenomena in nature from the most basic perspective.
Anyways, to answer your question, theoretical physicists can always improve upon their models.I have a quote similar to yours... "I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I'm not absolutely sure about anything." - Richard Feynman

no to go in much detail but I think Aristotle is still right and will be for quite frankly a very long time , even though we think we know much we know very little , our theories are incomplete and there is still very very much to understand and learn.
as you mentioned fusion , we could say energy in gereral, Like new ways and forms of energy , that alone is a major thing we still haven't fully accomplished , as the older resources are dying out but the new ones are yet only at the experimental stage , like fusion , and since our modern way of life is 100% energy dependant , I think we have a lot of work to do if we want to survive.

The only possible answer I can think of that makes any sense is, "We don't know."

in the long run absolutely drakkith

But to answer my question, will the advancement in fusion energy draw the need for physicists?

What I know is that physicists still don't understand quantum mechanics which doesn't go Along with our normal thinking

The more you know the more you really realize that you don't know nothing and the more you don't know the more you think that you know everything

Eevery new advancment brings new minds to it , the question is rather how many of them are capable of solving the problem not just wanting or working on it.

new tool for measuring astrological dimention

Does anyone know why we don't use fusion energy today?

because we don't fully know how to, but there are some designs and people working on it.

if you want to see more go to google and type in fusion research or fusion power and so on and see for yourself.

Does anyone know why we don't use fusion energy today?

no way to control and contain the reactions.

If so, what is their that physicist do not understand in physics today?

here are a few quick thoughts...

How do we control the weather.
How do we make accurate long term weather forecasts.
What factors affect long term climate variations on earth, like ice ages and subsequent warming periods?
How can we economically travel to the outmost reaches of space and return in reasonable times.
How can we economically raise payloads off Earth for space travel.
Can we build a functioning space elevator.
Why are the 17 or so experimental values of the standard model of particle physics what we observe...say the charge of the electron or the mass of particles.
How do we complete the standard model.
How can we control gravity.
How do we get economical energy from the sun? from the oceans?
What are the physical processes required for consciousnous?
How can we make computers with the abilities of the human brain.
Where did this universe come from?
Where is this universe going?
Are there other universes?
How can we get to other universes if they exist?
How can we tell they are safe for us to travel?

Not that I trust their projections, but the US bureau of labor statistics [I think that's the department] issues periodic projections of jobs in the US. doctors, engineers, nurses...etc...
But of course they are usually about as accurate as weather forecasts. I've seen them online.

Just a little add to what you said Naty1,

How can we make computers with the abilities of the human brain.

I don't think personally that nay artificial chip no matter how complex and advanced will ever react and think like a human , because how do you make a robot feel emotions like we feel them or music like we feel them , not just some preprogrammed analyzing but a real feeling , I'm sure you know what I mean.

But any other than that I think there is room for computers to advance even in terms of processing power and various applications.

Emotions are easy to implement, money is the hard part.

them emotions:
bad enough in us, catastrophic in machines.

Imagine getting into your car, you ready to go to work, your car really emotional because, well
maybe cold outside or cold in the garage or maybe oil change overdue,whatever, you do not wan that machine sassin' back at u. driver rage is for us human peoples!

Or you are in a spaceship and encounter aliens...really bade dudes...you do NOT want your machines going all emotional...you can handle that!

These forums have been overrun by kids ages 10 - 15... I thought most kids these days were more interested in video games. You could at least spell right!

" them emotions " do you reread what you type before you send?

cmoon chill down :D:D:D Naty1 is not a kid looking at his info page at his profile says some things , but you didn't bother to look those up did you? , he was just making a joke , yet you didn't understand it and are now insulting him , whose the " intellectual" here ?

You could at least spell right!

A sense of humor will benefit you greatly.
The literary formality: 'irony'

Whose the "intellectual here"? Errr that's not how you use that word.

If you are looking to make jokes, go to the jokes forums.

Brainlike computers, learning from their own mistakes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/29/science/brainlike-computers-learning-from-experience.html?_r=0

The new computing approach, already in use by some large technology companies, is based on the biological nervous system, specifically on how neurons react to stimuli and connect with other neurons to interpret information. It allows computers to absorb new information while carrying out a task, and adjust what they do based on the changing signals.

Let's stay on topic guys!

Ps. The topic wasn't about the advancement in physics, it was about what's left to discover

The_Engineer answered my question

The original question referred to 'physics', but that is an artificial distinction about fields of understanding. The 'field' of physics has fuzzy edges, and, to understand emotions, for example, the fuzzy edges of physics need to mingle with the fuzzy edges of life sciences and psychology. This is not a strange idea to geographers who regularly have to harness multiple fields of knowledge (I mean understanding) in order to make advances into new areas.

The big cookie in physics is resolving the apparent contradictions implicit in the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Physics.

Claude.

We don't understand the Pauli Exclusion Principle at all.

We do not understand metals from first principle. The simple nearly free electron approach works ok, but refinements on it fail. We are unable to calculate band gaps from first principle.

Claude Bile said:
The big cookie in physics is resolving the apparent contradictions implicit in the theories of General Relativity and Quantum Physics.

Claude.

_Apparent_ contradictions?
Are you stating that the problem is merely a paradox?

mfb said:
List of unsolved problems in physics

With more knowledge, this list is not getting shorter, it is getting longer as more and more questions are coming up.

Just added a few items ...

1. What are the current frontiers of physics research?

The current frontiers of physics research include the study of dark matter and dark energy, quantum computing, high energy particle collisions, and the search for a unified theory of everything.

2. Is there a limit to what we can discover in physics?

As our understanding of physics is constantly evolving, there is no limit to what we can discover. However, there may be limits to our technology and ability to observe and understand certain phenomena.

3. Are there any fundamental laws of physics yet to be discovered?

It is possible that there are still fundamental laws of physics yet to be discovered. The search for a unified theory of everything, which would explain the fundamental forces of the universe, is ongoing.

4. How does the study of physics benefit society?

The study of physics has many practical applications that benefit society, such as advancements in technology, medicine, and energy production. It also helps us better understand the natural world and our place in the universe.

5. What role does experimentation play in physics discovery?

Experimentation is crucial in the discovery of new physics theories and principles. By conducting experiments, scientists can test their hypotheses and gather data to support or refute their ideas.