Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats so special about cokes formula?

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    COKE ACTS like its formula is super secret. pepsi and store brand taste similar enough, that i dont doubt the formulas arent too different.....
    yes i can tell the difference,and love coke better,but i dont get whats so secret about this coke.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Coke and pepsi taste the same? Not so much. Pepsi is a little bit more "tangy" than coke.

Also, pepsi sucks horribly.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Coke and pepsi formulas are secret. Pepsi is too sweet for me.

5. Jul 5, 2010 #4
    The logical course of action is therefore to drink water.:wink:

6. Jul 5, 2010 #5
    i was unaware said they tasted the same.but yeah i dont like pepsi too much..except the throwback pepsi

7. Jul 5, 2010 #6
    water doesnt contain artery clogging high fructose corn syrup though. ;(

8. Jul 5, 2010 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The proof is in the pudding. Coke is and stays more popular than Pepsi. 'nuff said.

9. Jul 5, 2010 #8
    The logical course of action is therefore to drink http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/6040825/fructose_syrup.html" [Broken].:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jul 5, 2010 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me too. At least I thought so many years ago, it's been that long since I've had any soda. Both would likely be too sweet for me now.

11. Jul 5, 2010 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Soda?? We're not baking cookies here, we're talking pop. :grumpy:

12. Jul 5, 2010 #11
    I remember when I first heard my cousins from Pennsylvania say that. It sounded so silly. "Pop". Adults say that too?

13. Jul 5, 2010 #12
    thats why i dont see how the formulas are so different.

14. Jul 5, 2010 #13

russ_watters

In central and Western PA, yes. In Southeastern PA, we asy "soda".

15. Jul 5, 2010 #14
    I think they differ by only one ingredient. Maybe that's a wives tale though. (Caramel?)

16. Jul 5, 2010 #15

Evo

My understanding is that the recipe is actually split up and no single person has the entire recipe.

17. Jul 5, 2010 #16
    "To this day, Coca-Cola uses as an ingredient a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

In the United States, Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[32] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia."
    ~Wikipedia

I think its clear why coke is better than pepsi. :smile:

18. Jul 5, 2010 #17
    Does Snopes count as a source of information around here?

If so, according to Snopes, the rumour about several people knowing only parts of the formula is false. And the "secret ingredient" is "decocainized flavor essence of the cocoa leaf" that is illegal in the States. According to Snopes, only one plant in New Jersey "has the necessary DEA permit to import the leaves and remove the cocaine from them". And that the whole mystery behind Coke's secret is hype about the secret.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

And yes, it's pop, not soda. And, no, I don't drink pop.

19. Jul 6, 2010 #18

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Time to weigh in. I normally do not drink pop, (yes in Indiana we call it pop). However, when the weather heats up, I'm dripping with sweat and someone offers me a frosty cold cola, given the choice, I will choose diet pepsi. I like the flavor better. (I don't do sugar).

20. Jul 6, 2010 #19
    Coca-cola still has bits(microscopic now) of cocaine.

21. Jul 6, 2010 #20
    It's actually the most cost-efficient way of reprocessing nuclear waste.

22. Jul 6, 2010 #21

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So if I may paraphrase

23. Jul 6, 2010 #22
    Me too! Interesting though, when I traveled to Africa it was the opposite! Pepsi tasted like Coke and Coke was sweeter than the Pepsi in the States.

24. Jul 6, 2010 #23
    Ahhhhhhhhh.......that must be why it's so good. Coke IS it!

25. Jul 6, 2010 #24
    What do you think would required by law to be considered "cocane free"? Less than 1%?

26. Jul 6, 2010 #25
    That's a little arrogant. The official name is pop because that's what you call it?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook