Whats so special about cokes formula?

COKE ACTS like its formula is super secret. pepsi and store brand taste similar enough, that i dont doubt the formulas arent too different.....
yes i can tell the difference,and love coke better,but i dont get whats so secret about this coke.

Answers and Replies

KalamMekhar
Coke and pepsi taste the same? Not so much. Pepsi is a little bit more "tangy" than coke.

Also, pepsi sucks horribly.

Evo
Mentor
Coke and pepsi formulas are secret. Pepsi is too sweet for me.

COKE ACTS like its formula is super secret.
The logical course of action is therefore to drink water.:wink:

COKE ACTS like its formula is super secret. pepsi and store brand taste similar enough, that i dont doubt the formulas arent too different.....
yes i can tell the difference,and love coke better,but i dont get whats so secret about this coke.
Coke and pepsi taste the same? Not so much. Pepsi is a little bit more "tangy" than coke.

Also, pepsi sucks horribly.
i was unaware said they tasted the same.but yeah i dont like pepsi too much..except the throwback pepsi

The logical course of action is therefore to drink water.:wink:
water doesnt contain artery clogging high fructose corn syrup though. ;(

DaveC426913
Gold Member
The proof is in the pudding. Coke is and stays more popular than Pepsi. 'nuff said.

water doesnt contain artery clogging high fructose corn syrup though. ;(
The logical course of action is therefore to drink http://www.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/seller/6040825/fructose_syrup.html" [Broken].:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Coke and pepsi formulas are secret. Pepsi is too sweet for me.
Me too. At least I thought so many years ago, it's been that long since I've had any soda. Both would likely be too sweet for me now.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
it's been that long since I've had any soda.
Soda?? We're not baking cookies here, we're talking pop. :grumpy:

I remember when I first heard my cousins from Pennsylvania say that. It sounded so silly. "Pop". Adults say that too?

thats why i dont see how the formulas are so different.

russ_watters
Mentor
I remember when I first heard my cousins from Pennsylvania say that. It sounded so silly. "Pop". Adults say that too?
In central and Western PA, yes. In Southeastern PA, we asy "soda".

thats why i dont see how the formulas are so different.
I think they differ by only one ingredient. Maybe that's a wives tale though. (Caramel?)

Evo
Mentor
I think they differ by only one ingredient. Maybe that's a wives tale though. (Caramel?)
My understanding is that the recipe is actually split up and no single person has the entire recipe.

"To this day, Coca-Cola uses as an ingredient a cocaine-free coca leaf extract prepared at a Stepan Company plant in Maywood, New Jersey.

In the United States, Stepan Company is the only manufacturing plant authorized by the Federal Government to import and process the coca plant,[32] which it obtains mainly from Peru and, to a lesser extent, Bolivia."
~Wikipedia

I think its clear why coke is better than pepsi. :smile:

Does Snopes count as a source of information around here?

If so, according to Snopes, the rumour about several people knowing only parts of the formula is false. And the "secret ingredient" is "decocainized flavor essence of the cocoa leaf" that is illegal in the States. According to Snopes, only one plant in New Jersey "has the necessary DEA permit to import the leaves and remove the cocaine from them". And that the whole mystery behind Coke's secret is hype about the secret.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

And yes, it's pop, not soda. And, no, I don't drink pop.

Ouabache
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Time to weigh in. I normally do not drink pop, (yes in Indiana we call it pop). However, when the weather heats up, I'm dripping with sweat and someone offers me a frosty cold cola, given the choice, I will choose diet pepsi. I like the flavor better. (I don't do sugar).

Coca-cola still has bits(microscopic now) of cocaine.

TubbaBlubba
It's actually the most cost-efficient way of reprocessing nuclear waste.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Time to weigh in. I normally do not drink pop, (yes in Indiana we call it pop). However, when the weather heats up, I'm dripping with sweat and someone offers me a frosty cold cola, given the choice, I will choose diet pepsi. I like the flavor better. (I don't do sugar).
So if I may paraphrase

I don't always drink pop, but when I do, I prefer diet pepsi.

Stay thirsty, my friends

Pepsi is too sweet for me.
Me too! Interesting though, when I traveled to Africa it was the opposite! Pepsi tasted like Coke and Coke was sweeter than the Pepsi in the States.

Coca-cola still has bits(microscopic now) of cocaine.
Ahhhhhhhhh.......that must be why it's so good. Coke IS it!

Does Snopes count as a source of information around here?

If so, according to Snopes, the rumour about several people knowing only parts of the formula is false. And the "secret ingredient" is "decocainized flavor essence of the cocoa leaf" that is illegal in the States. According to Snopes, only one plant in New Jersey "has the necessary DEA permit to import the leaves and remove the cocaine from them". And that the whole mystery behind Coke's secret is hype about the secret.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/formula.asp

And yes, it's pop, not soda. And, no, I don't drink pop.
What do you think would required by law to be considered "cocane free"? Less than 1%?

And yes, it's pop, not soda.
That's a little arrogant. The official name is pop because that's what you call it?