What's so special about light?

• Thread starter copernicus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the speed of light is determined by the universal speed limit, and it is tied to the electromagnetic interaction in a special way.
copernicus1
Hi, I confused about the relationship between light and [itex]c[/itex] on the one hand and massless particles and [itex]c[/itex] on the other. Does light travel at c because it's light and that's all there is to it, or does it travel at c because it just happens to be another massless particle?

I know that classically [itex]c=1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0\mu_0}[/itex], which seems to indicate that the speed of light has everything to do with electromagnetism, but then why does the speed of light apply so much more broadly?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you call "the speed of light" is really "the universal speed limit". That is, it isn't what it is because it's the speed that light travels at, it is a more fundamental thing than that and light travels at it because light is a massless particle. Any massless particle will travel at the universal speed liimit. Also, gravity waves are believed to travel at that speed

Okay, thanks, that's sort of what I thought. Are there other ways of defining c besides in terms of the permittivity and permeability constants? This seems to tie c to the electromagnetic interaction in some special way.

copernicus1 said:
Okay, thanks, that's sort of what I thought. Are there other ways of defining c besides in terms of the permittivity and permeability constants? This seems to tie c to the electromagnetic interaction in some special way.
c is the fundamental constant in Maxwell's Equations. It's a mistake to think in terms of two fundamental constants ε0 and μ0, which are presented that way to satisfy the engineers. Recall that μ0 is nothing more than a defined number, 4π x 10-7.

copernicus1 said:
It is well known that c is tied to electromagnetic interactions as light is electromagnetic, but c is defined as the speed of propagation in vacuum (for sound, c is the speed of sound and for light it's the speed of light). In other words, the fact that electromagnetic properties allowed to predict the propagation speed of electromagnetic waves does not define that speed - but those constants are definitely tied together. And since SR we know that c is also the limit speed of everything material; that was the mathematical outcome from the observations that the speed of light is not only a constant c, independent of the source, but also invariant. That doesn't make light special, but it does make its vacuum propagation speed c special.

Last edited:
I agree, I can't help but feel c is ALL about geometry & sequencing (ordering). From there physics happens.

nitsuj said:
I agree, I can't help but feel c is ALL about geometry & sequencing (ordering). From there physics happens.

Uh ... huh ?

1. What is light and how does it work?

Light is a form of energy that travels in waves. It is a type of electromagnetic radiation that can be seen by the human eye. It is produced by charged particles, such as electrons, and can travel through a vacuum or a medium. Light works by moving in a straight line until it hits an object, which can either reflect, absorb, or transmit the light.

2. What makes light so special compared to other forms of energy?

Light is unique because it is the only form of energy that we can see. It is also essential for our survival and plays a crucial role in many natural processes, such as photosynthesis in plants. Light also has a wide range of uses in technology, from communication to medical imaging.

3. Can light be both a wave and a particle?

Yes, light has properties of both a wave and a particle, known as wave-particle duality. This phenomenon was first described by physicist Albert Einstein and helps to explain the behavior of light in different situations. In some experiments, light behaves like a wave, while in others, it behaves like a particle.

4. Why is the speed of light considered the fastest speed possible?

The speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, is considered the fastest speed possible because it is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. This is due to the fundamental laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity proposed by Einstein.

5. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three main ways: reflection, absorption, and transmission. Reflection occurs when light bounces off an object, such as a mirror, without being absorbed. Absorption happens when light is taken in by an object, and its energy is converted into heat or other forms of energy. Transmission is when light passes through an object, such as glass, without being absorbed or reflected.