Whats so special about cokes formula?

• Thread starter sportsstar469
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation revolves around the perceived differences between Coke and Pepsi, with some individuals stating they can taste a difference but others finding them to be similar. The secrecy surrounding the formula of Coke is also mentioned, with some pointing out that it is largely a marketing ploy. The conversation also touches on regional differences in what is referred to as "pop" or "soda." Some individuals also mention not regularly drinking soda, but enjoying it in certain situations. The use of cocaine in the original recipe for Coca-Cola is mentioned, with sources cited to support this claim.
:smile: I am surrounded by fellow degenerate hedonists! I've never been happier. ;)

Cannabis jokes aside, I do love the kick of real ginger in a true ginger beer. That being said, I am a fanatic lover of ginger, in tea (fresh), candied, and in fizzy goodness.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ginger tea is the best. xD Where is bhang sold? Indonesia?

Maine used to have some fantastic birch beers. Light, not too sweet, and best slugged down ice-cold from an almost frozen wet-bottom cooler.

HeLiXe said:
Ginger tea is the best. xD Where is bhang sold? Indonesia?

Bhang is very common in northern India, but I don't believe it's legal in many places beyond that. Certainly I would not want to be smoking or drinking it around the wrong Hindu or Islamic sect. Indonesia... I don't know, but they make Kretek (clove cigarettes) which are terrible for you, but delicious.

Turbo-1: If you find a source for that, please post it, I adore birch beer, it has such a mild almost minty flavor.

nismaratwork said:
Are you in any way a fan of Lambics? I find them to be very concessional, but when I'm in the mood they can really hit the spot. I'm also very fond of rich wheat-beers, but a good porter is a god to worship.
Yeah and Trappiste Ales, e.g., Chimay. Ommegang Brewery is not too far from here.

I've had some interesting Framboise Lambic Beer, but I generally prefer the pure lambic.

And whenever I get to SD, I have to visit Stone Brewery up in Escondido. They have their own and an incredible selection from around the world. Somewhere I have one of their weekly lists.
http://www.stonebrew.com/

There is also this thread so that we don't derail this one.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313464

Last edited:
nismaratwork said:
Bhang is very common in northern India

Thx!:biggrin:

nismaratwork said:
Turbo-1: If you find a source for that, please post it, I adore birch beer, it has such a mild almost minty flavor.
I believe that Kist was the better brand, but it's been a long time, and there were several smaller plants putting out birch beer. Back then, sodas were made with cane sugar and they were heavily carbonated and heavily flavored. Orange Kist and Cherry Kist were a couple of my favorites.

HeLiXe said:
Ginger tea is the best.

Especially for those cold Canadian winters
(bhang is good for all seasons :approve:)

I mostly drink water. However, I think that I know Pengwuino's preference. :-p

[PLAIN]http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/eae6b61a-d8f7-456b-bebd-41984c9a2e8d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
I believe that Kist was the better brand, but it's been a long time, and there were several smaller plants putting out birch beer. Back then, sodas were made with cane sugar and they were heavily carbonated and heavily flavored. Orange Kist and Cherry Kist were a couple of my favorites.

Mmmm.. cane sugar... heavy carbonation... *drool*

Astronuc: I celebrated the 4th with friends, and our mutual friend Chimay! En route to other thread as well, after all, who doesn't like drinkable bread?

VeeEight said:

Bhang... good since at least 1000BC!

:smile:

VeeEight said:

I don't know if you like anything Chai-like...but almond milk with cinnamon, ginger and black tea is SOOOOOOOOOOOO good for cold times:biggrin:

HeLiXe said:
I don't know if you like anything Chai-like...but almond milk with cinnamon, ginger and black tea is SOOOOOOOOOOOO good for cold times:biggrin:

I am East Indian so I am a lover of all teas, especially spiced tea. Orange, lemon, cardamom and various essential oils are other things that I like to add.

VeeEight said:
I am East Indian

That might explain it for both of us then :-p There are A LOT of East Indians in my family :biggrin:

When it's hot, a little Thandai goes a long way. Yum. I love the Japanese habit of making milk teas with strong black teas; if you take that and put an Indian twist on it (some spice, bergomot, and so forth) it can be perfect for a hot day.

When Coca Cola was first introduced, it contained cocaine. Obviously this has since become unfeasible and they had to switch to crack.:smile:

Michael Jackson got burned on Pepsi, Richard Pryor got burned on Coke.

Is that still funny?

Micheal Jackson got burned on little boys.

Also, Coke destroys pepsi, pepsi is not recognized by the INSPRC.

DaveC426913 said:

Is that still funny?

The question is how "close to home" can a joke about someone else's misfortune get before you take offense to it. If a family member was in the hospital due to heart problems and someone made a joke about that person never doing anything "whole-heartedly" anyway, would you take it as innocent humor? If they were long dead, would you?

Bah. Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You might find out how it works, but the frog dies.

On June 9, 1981, during the making of the film Bustin' Loose, Pryor set himself on fire after freebasing cocaine while drinking 151-proof rum. He was taken to the hospital, where he was treated for burns covering more than half of his body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pryor#The_freebasing_incident

On January 27, 1984, Michael and other members of the Jacksons filmed a Pepsi Cola commercial. In front of a full house of fans during a simulated concert, pyrotechnics accidentally set Jackson's hair on fire. He suffered second-degree burns to his scalp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae....22_and_business_career_.281984.E2.80.9385.29

brainstorm said:
The question is how "close to home" can a joke about someone else's misfortune get before you take offense to it. If a family member was in the hospital due to heart problems and someone made a joke about that person never doing anything "whole-heartedly" anyway, would you take it as innocent humor? If they were long dead, would you?

If I were making a joke about his death, I'll grant it might* be in poor taste. But his death does not wipe out the previous 52 years of his life. The event to which I referred is 26 years past.

*Not, by any means, granted. As Carol Burnett said: "Comedy is tragedy plus time"

DaveC426913 said:
If I were making a joke about his death, I'll grant it might be in poor taste. But his death does not wipe out the previous 52 years of his life.

I was referring to Richard Pryor. Didn't he actually die in some kind of drug-related fire/explosion?

I think he lived and even made a movie joking about it

unless it was another drug related fire explosion thing

brainstorm said:
I was referring to Richard Pryor. Didn't he actually die in some kind of drug-related fire/explosion?
Cremation, though fire-related doesn't really qualify as drug-related. :biggrin: He died of heart attack at the ripe age of 65.

DaveC426913 said:
Bah. Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog. You might find out how it works, but the frog dies.

You dissect live frogs?!

GeorginaS said:
You dissect live frogs?!
Ewwwww!

GeorginaS said:
You dissect live frogs?!

All the dead ones I come across are only 1/4" thick and covered in treadmarks.

DaveC426913 said:

Is that still funny?

Still funny to me, and it was never too soon. Pryor accepted and joked about his situation, and Michael Jackson was sleeping with Propofol and little boys, or at least, life-size dolls of them (http://yfrog.com/05life7rj). That joke would be funny at his funeral, and I think Pryor wouldn't have advocated self-censorship.

GeorginaS: Interesting... the frog dies before you dissect, otherwise it's vivisection. To dissect, you still have to kill the frog first. Your mind works in interesting ways. ;)

DaveC426913 said:
All the dead ones I come across are only 1/4" thick and covered in treadmarks.

Sounds like a job for scissors. . . and don't forget the spatula.

nismaratwork said:
GeorginaS: Interesting... the frog dies before you dissect, otherwise it's vivisection. To dissect, you still have to kill the frog first. Your mind works in interesting ways. ;)

[blink]

Wow, I'm going to have to bust out Dave's line about jokes and dissecting frogs.

GeorginaS said:
[blink]

Wow, I'm going to have to bust out Dave's line about jokes and dissecting frogs.

A joke GeroginaS, it was a joke. Hmmmm, maybe this thread is humor-cursed. That, or my jokes suck eggs.

nismaratwork said:
A joke GeroginaS, it was a joke. Hmmmm, maybe this thread is humor-cursed. That, or my jokes suck eggs.

Wow. We definitely need to start deploying more smilie faces around here, I'm thinking. I've only just got the hang of Dave's sense of humour sans winky faces. I'll keep your name in mind too, mismaratwork. :smile:

GeorginaS said:
Wow. We definitely need to start deploying more smilie faces around here, I'm thinking. I've only just got the hang of Dave's sense of humour sans winky faces. I'll keep your name in mind too, mismaratwork. :smile:
Hm. If humour is my default state, maybe what I need is an emoticon for when I'm being serious. :serious:
No wait. I'm not being serious, so :smile:
No. I don't need the smiley. Damn.