What's the Deal with Negative Reaction Scores?
- Thread starter Rive
- Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
44 replies · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
I’ve never seen a negative reaction score before.
I thought they were only additive.
I thought they were only additive.
- 20,002
- 11,120
This is a Twitter embed. I think a problem with your old browser.Tom.G said:I am seeing some new posts with missing content, seems to be images or video.
Most recent is https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/7057407, where the initial text shows but the rest of the rather large message frame is blank.
Hope this isn't a case of "Advance To The Rear."
Nope post and reaction score have been there for many yearsRive said:
- 20,002
- 11,120
Yup, there is a single emoji that is a negativeRive said:... With negative score?![]()
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Where is it? The seven reactions I get are: Thumbs up, Hearts for eyes, holding heart, laughing head, Amazed head, sad head and holds chin head.Rive said:I did not know that, realy ...![]()
Like, love, care, funny , wow , sad and skeptical.
No negative thumb up.
- 20,002
- 11,120
I didn't say there was a negative thumb uppinball1970 said:Where is it? The seven reactions I get are: Thumbs up, Hearts for eyes, holding heart, laughing head, Amazed head, sad head and holds chin head.
Like, love, care, funny , wow , sad and skeptical.
No negative thumb up.
Hill
- 867
- 658
Should be easy to find outGreg Bernhardt said:I didn't say there was a negative thumb up![]()
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Just trying something.Hill said:Should be easy to find out![]()
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Yep, well 9 years on the site I never knew that.Hill said:Should be easy to find out![]()
Hill
- 867
- 658
Did it do it?pinball1970 said:Just trying something.
Hill
- 867
- 658
I guess, it did.pinball1970 said:Yep, well 9 years on the site I never knew that.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
I upvoted you for your troubleHill said:Did it do it?
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 35,014
- 21,725
The topic of this thread from the forum front page is "negative reaction score" but the title of this thread seems to be "Small PF Update this Weekend".
How odd.
How odd.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
It will be fixed in update?Vanadium 50 said:The topic of this thread from the forum front page is "negative reaction score" but the title of this thread seems to be "Small PF Update this Weekend".
How odd.
- 20,002
- 11,120
I merged two threads, actually, I should just spun the posts off, one secVanadium 50 said:The topic of this thread from the forum front page is "negative reaction score" but the title of this thread seems to be "Small PF Update this Weekend".
How odd.
- 20,002
- 11,120
what will be fixed?pinball1970 said:It will be fixed in update?
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Your update, I thought it was one of those little glitches you mentioned.Greg Bernhardt said:what will be fixed?
- 20,002
- 11,120
No it's not a glitch, we've had a negative reaction for 10 years
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
No I meant the thing Vanadium50 mentioned about the Title being different to the thread.Greg Bernhardt said:No it's not a glitch, we've had a negative reaction for 10 years
- 20,002
- 11,120
That was just a cache. I merged two threads.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
Entirely possible...Greg Bernhardt said:This is a Twitter embed. I think a problem with your old browser.
Going directly to Twitter gets a "...browser no longer supported." message.
And the link in https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/7057724 to
shows no response at all.
Oh well.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Huh? I thought it was the skeptical?Tom.G said:It is the Sad emoji.
I tested it on Greg's account by giving a Skeptical emoji, checking number of Likes, then trying the Sad emoji and checking Likes again.
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
That's kind of a surprise. I tend to use 'Sad' as 'yeah, that's really sad' about the content reported in the other comment: in that rare case when the other content is just not right it's the 'Skeptical'...Tom.G said:It is the Sad emoji.
But this way now it feels like beating the messenger, and I did it some times already
Sorry, my bad

pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,877
- 6,212
Me too!Rive said:That's kind of a surprise. I tend to use 'Sad' as 'yeah, that's really sad' about the content reported in the other comment: in that rare case when the other content is just not right it's the 'Skeptical'...
But this way now it feels like beating the messenger, and I did it some times already
Sorry, my bad![]()
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
If I press like and reload the page, the score changes.
If if press sad or skeptical and reload the page, the score remains the same. Is there a time lag?
If if press sad or skeptical and reload the page, the score remains the same. Is there a time lag?
Similar threads
Undergrad
What's the deal with instantons?
- pines-demon
- · Replies 1 ·
- Quantum Physics
- Replies
- 1
- MathewsMD
- · Replies 4 ·
- Chemistry
- Replies
- 4
- swampwiz
- · Replies 2 ·
- Earth Sciences
- Replies
- 2
- swampwiz
- · Replies 24 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 24
- Twigg
- · Replies 2 ·
- Thermodynamics
- Replies
- 2
High School
What's the deal with dark matter
- Snooch
- · Replies 45 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 45
- the dr.
- · Replies 6 ·
- Mechanical Engineering
- Replies
- 6
- Stephen Tashi
- · Replies 68 ·
- Calculus
- Replies
- 68
- NavinRJohnson
- · Replies 3 ·
- Electrical Engineering
- Replies
- 3
- SHISHKABOB
- · Replies 5 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 5