What's the difference between Δ and d in physics ?

In summary, the acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity is changing. It is equivalent to the derivative of the velocity with respect to time. The two are related by:
Peter25samaha
Is the acceleration : a=Δv/Δt equivalent to a=dv/dt ??
Anx what's the difference between Δ and d and can i use Δ when i want ?
a=d2x / dt2
Can we write the same using Δ ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter25samaha said:
Anx what's the difference between Δ and d and can i use Δ when i want ?
a=dx/dt
Can we write the same using Δ ?

##\Delta## usually represents a finite change in something. So, technically:

Average Acceleration = ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##

Where ##\Delta t## is some finite (not necessarily small) period of time.

##a = \frac{dv}{dt}## denotes the derivative of velocity with respect to time. This gives the instantaneous acceleration.

The two are related by:

##\frac{dv}{dt} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##

Likes Peter25samaha
PeroK said:
##\Delta## usually represents a finite change in something. So, technically:

Average Acceleration = ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##Where ##\Delta t## is some finite (not necessarily small) period of time.
##a = \frac{dv}{dt}## denotes the derivative of velocity with respect to time. This gives the instantaneous acceleration.
The two are related by:

##\frac{dv}{dt} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##
a=d2x/dt2 and here what does it mean the : d2x
Shoudn't be :dx2 ?

Peter25samaha said:

##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dt}) = \frac{dv}{dt}##

The notation is probably because you can view ##\frac{d}{dt}## as the differential operator, hence ##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d}{dt} = \frac{d^2}{dt^2}## but I wouldn't read too much into the notation. Other notations for acceleration include:

##x''## and ##\ddot{x}##

Peter25samaha said:
These will have identical values if velocity vs. time graph is a straight line (around the region of interest), otherwise Δv/Δt is an approximation to the exact slope of the tangent, dv/dt.

Peter25samaha said:
The trouble you are having is this is calculus notation. If you haven't studied calculus yet, you're going to be understandably confused.

NascentOxygen said:
These will have identical values if velocity vs. time graph is a straight line (around the region of interest), otherwise Δv/Δt is an approximation to the exact slope of the tangent, dv/dt.
Yes and if i am using a 3D graph with x y and z i will put vector on each one and i have to write it like this : dv/dt right ?

PeroK said:
##\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dx}{dt}) = \frac{dv}{dt}##

The notation is probably because you can view ##\frac{d}{dt}## as the differential operator, hence ##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{d}{dt} = \frac{d^2}{dt^2}## but I wouldn't read too much into the notation. Other notations for acceleration include:

##x''## and ##\ddot{x}##
Okay but this :
a=d2x/dt2
Can be equal to delta squared if velocity and time graph is a straight light ?
a=Δ2x/dt2
Those two acceleration are equal ?

Peter25samaha said:
Okay but this :
a=d2x/dt2
a=Δ2x/dt2
Generally, one doesn't mix Δ and d notation in the same expression.

Peter25samaha said:
Okay but this :
a=d2x/dt2
a=Δ2x/dt2

First ##\Delta^2## has no obvious meaning that I can see. ##(\Delta x)^2## has the obvious meaning.

Second, as Steam King points out, ##\frac{\Delta}{d}## is meaningless.

Third, you should be able to see for yourself why ##a \ne \frac{(\Delta x)^2}{(\Delta t)^2}##

More generally, you seem to be just groping in the dark here. You seem to be struggling to understand what is going on with time and distance and motion. This material should make sense. Are you learning calculus?

PeroK said:
First ##\Delta^2## has no obvious meaning that I can see. ##(\Delta x)^2## has the obvious meaning.

Second, as Steam King points out, ##\frac{\Delta}{d}## is meaningless.Third, you should be able to see for yourself why ##a \ne \frac{(\Delta x)^2}{(\D

elta
t)^2}##

More generally, you seem to be just groping

in the dark here. You seem to be struggling to understand what is going on with time
and distance and motion. This material
should make sense. Are you learning calculus?

Yes i am learning but i only want to know when i use d and when i use Δ if i have to calculate the velocity or acceleration

Peter25samaha said:
Yes i am learning but i only want to know when i use d and when i use Δ if i have to calculate the velocity or acceleration
Hopefully that was answered in post #2.

PeroK said:
Hopefully that was answered in post #2.
Okay sorry i haven't seen this

1. What is the meaning of Δ in physics?

In physics, Δ (delta) represents a change or difference in a physical quantity. It can also be used to denote a finite change in a value, such as a displacement or a force.

2. What does d stand for in physics?

In physics, d usually represents a small change or a small increment in a physical quantity. It can also be used to represent a small distance or displacement.

3. How are Δ and d different?

The main difference between Δ and d in physics is their usage. Δ is used to denote a finite change or difference in a physical quantity, while d is usually used to represent a small change or increment. Additionally, Δ can be used to denote a vector quantity, while d is typically used for scalar quantities.

4. Can Δ and d be used interchangeably?

No, Δ and d cannot be used interchangeably in physics. They have different meanings and are used in different contexts. Using them interchangeably can lead to incorrect calculations and interpretations.

5. How are Δ and d related to derivatives?

Δ and d are both related to derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a physical quantity. Δ is used in finite difference calculations, while d is used in calculus to represent infinitesimal changes. In the limit, Δ can be replaced by d to calculate derivatives.