Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between dx and ∂x?

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    I understand from the equation:
    [tex] df = {\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}} dx + {\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}} dy [/tex]
    that: [itex] dx \neq \partial x [/itex].

I understand why [itex] df \neq \partial f [/itex]
    ([itex]df[/itex] is the change in f when the change in all the variables is infinitesimal, and [itex] \partial f [/itex] is the change in f when the change in one vriable is infinitesimal and the others are constant, right?).

but doesn't both [itex] dx [/itex] and [itex] \partial x [/itex] mean an infinitesimal change in x? if so, why aren't they equal? if not what do they mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

x could depend on y, for example. Or both x and y could depend on some common other variables. In the same way as ##df \neq \partial f##, ##dx \neq \partial x##

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    how could x depend on y? aren't they both independent variables?

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Who said that?

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5
    does it really matter?

btw i meant that for f(x,y) if that wasn't clear.

7. Jun 21, 2013 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want to make sense of this for a function ##f:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## (without using definitions from differential geometry), then you should define ##df:\mathbb R^4\to\mathbb R## by
    $$df(x,y,z,w)=D_1f(x,y)z+D_2f(x,y)w$$ for all ##x,y,z,w\in\mathbb R##. This ensures that for all ##x,y,dx,dy\in\mathbb R##, we have
    $$df(x,y,dx,dy)=D_1f(x,y)dx+D_2f(x,y)dy.$$ What you wrote can be considered a sloppy notation for this result.

This is a way to make sense of df, dx and dy. I don't think I have ever seen anyone try to make sense of ##\partial x##. It's just a small part of the notation ##\partial f/\partial x##, which means ##D_1f##. I find the notation ##\partial f/\partial x## misleading, since it hides the fact that ##D_1f## (the partial derivative of f with respect to the first variable slot) is the same function no matter what symbols we usually use to represent the numbers we plug into ##f##.

Note that with this definition, there's no need for dx and dy to be "infinitesimal". What does that even mean? I know that there's a definition of that term, but I haven't studied it, and I'm pretty sure that almost no one of the authors of physics books who use that term have either. If you see the term "infinitesimal" in a physics book, you should assume that it has nothing to do with infinitesimals. You should interpret it as a code that let's you know that the next thing that follows is a first-order approximation. For example, to say that for infinitesimal x, we have ##e^x=1+x##, is to say (in a weird and confusing way) that there's a function ##R:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## such that ##e^x=1+x+R(x)## for all ##x\in\mathbb R##, and ##R(x)/x\to x## as ##x\to 0##.

df(x,y,z,w) is a first-order approximation of the difference f(x+z,y+w)-f(x,y). So if we want to be weird and confusing, we can say that for infinitesimal z and w, we have f(x+z,y+w)-f(x,y) = df(x,y,z,w). If we want to cause some additional confusion, we can use the notations dx and dy for the real numbers z and w, and then drop the (x,y,z,w) from df(x,y,z,w), and the (x,y) from ##D_1f(x,y)## and ##D_2f(x,y)##. Then we would be saying that for infinitesimal dx and dy, we have
    $$f(x+dx,y+dy)-f(x,y)=df=D_1f dy+ D_2f dx =\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}dx+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}dy.$$

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  8. Jul 24, 2016 #7
    Δ = difference

d = Δ but small difference, infinitesimal

δ = d but along a curve

Mathematical symbols are always graphics.

I’m not sure if that will be true, but it would be beautiful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted