1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Whats the difference between electronics eng and electrical eng?

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    So I'm currently in electronics engineering, however, I was planning on transferring to a school about 50 miles away so that I can switch to electrical engineering because my current school does not offer it. I asked my advisor and he said the difference between the two programs is the name. Are most electronic engineers considered electrical engineers (basically do they do the same thing?) I'm having second thoughts simply because I don't want to move.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    You can tell us by checking the curriculum of your current program and comparing it to the other schools program.

Also, keep in mind, almost everything an electrical engineer works on is electronic, and everything that is electronic is electrical.

4. Aug 26, 2010 #3
    I'm an electrical engineering major, and as I understand it, "electrical engineering" is a broader term than "electronics engineering". Electrical engineering includes things like signal processing, that don't directly relate to electronics. Electronics is one sub-area of electrical engineering.

The best way to figure out what to do in your case would probably be to look at the courses that the two schools require and compare how similar/different they are.

5. Aug 28, 2010 #4
    So basically the jobs interchangeable? If a company is looking for an electrical engineer an electronic engineer should be qualified?

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5
    Link to Computer and Electronics Engineering Curriculum

http://www.ceen.unomaha.edu/undergrad/eeng7.php" [Broken]

Link to Electrical Engineering Course descriptions

http://bulletin.unl.edu/undergraduate/courses/ELEC/" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Aug 28, 2010 #6
    The difference is too small to worry about. What is relevant is your exact concentration of elective courses and the specific field of specialization you wish to go in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook