What's The Difference Between Physics And Engineering?

In summary, physicists are generally paid to discover, document, or explain new physical phenomena. Engineers are generally paid to design marketable products which make use of such phenomena. The line is often blurry, even in astronomy/astrophysics, since many astronomers spend the majority of their time building and designing instruments.
zoobyshoe
I'd like to hear people's perspective on where these two depart from each other such that they're considered two separate fields. It has always seemed to me the overlap is greater than the differences.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists are generally paid to discover, document, or explain new physical phenomena.

Engineers are generally paid to design marketable products which make use of such phenomena.

Quite often, engineers are involved in almost every step a physicist takes to fully understanding a phenomenon (experimentation, for example). On the contrary, physicists are usually only involved in the first step an engineer takes to developing a marketable product (developing a smaller integrated-circuit process, for example).

- Warren

Well, the most general difference is that engineering is the study of building something in real life and therefore focuses on design techniques where physicists study the way nature works by performing an experiment, seeing what happens and trying to generalize nature with mathematical equations. Overall, I think the difference is more academic than practical. As a physicist (unless purely theoretical), you'll probably have to acount for a lot of real-life considerations in making experiments, which would then delve into engineering design. And engineers, well they'll probably need to read a physics book sometime in their career :wink:. My 2 cents.

From my perspective, an engineer is more or less an applied physicist. My group develops models of materials and how those materials perform in their environment, and mostly in my case, within nuclear fuel elements and nuclear reactors. The models are relatively simple geometrically, however we model rather coarsely what takes place on microscopic level. This requires an integration of thermophysical, thermochemical and mechanical properties, in conjuction with thermal-hydraulics and fluid-structure interaction.

The net result is a model with which we do predictive analysis, both in steady-state and transient conditions.

In essence we do engineering and applied physics concurrently, and we work with various groups around the world who do the same.

chroot said:
Physicists are generally paid to discover, document, or explain new physical phenomena.

Engineers are generally paid to design marketable products which make use of such phenomena.

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT. engineers are mercenaries; scientists & mathematicians have a much higher purpose. :wink:

Last edited:
avg $$, thought process, and reality.

Zooby...you did start this thread for the sole purpose of stepping back and watching the sparks fly. Right?

I tend to agree with Chroot's explanation. While there are soo many different kinds of engineers that it is impossible to do a 1:1 comparisson, it's going to cover the majority.

zoobyshoe said:
I'd like to hear people's perspective on where these two depart from each other such that they're considered two separate fields. It has always seemed to me the overlap is greater than the differences.
it's easy:
1) engineerers are bad physicists.
2) physicists are bad mathematicians.
3) mathemticians are bad philosophers.
4) philosophers are satan's advocates.
5)___________///////...

you find the missing ingredient in the five element. :biggrin: :blushing: :tongue:

FredGarvin said:
Zooby...you did start this thread for the sole purpose of stepping back and watching the sparks fly. Right?
No, that's not what I'm up to here. I'm just soliciting people's perspectives for my benefit, and no one should construe this as an invitation to squabble, There have been some good, thoughtful answers, so, I hope people will keep it that way.

I'm just giving you a hard time.

The line is often blurry, even in astronomy/astrophysics, since many astronomers spend the majority of their time building and designing instruments. Likewise, I know there are many engineers who spend the majority of their time on physics. On paper, the distinction is based on design vs. theory. In practice, I think both engineers and physicists can end up going in directions more appropriately described by the other field. Life is an adventure that way. :cool:

fourier jr said:
engineers are mercenaries...
I kinda dig that...makes us sound tough.

1. What is the main difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, while engineering is the application of these principles to design and create useful products, systems, and technologies.

2. Can someone with a physics degree work as an engineer?

Yes, a person with a physics degree can work as an engineer, but they may need additional training or education in engineering principles and techniques to be successful in the field.

3. Which field requires more math skills, physics or engineering?

Both physics and engineering require a strong understanding of math, but engineering typically involves more practical applications of math, while physics focuses more on theoretical concepts.

4. What is the career outlook for physicists and engineers?

The career outlook for physicists and engineers is generally positive, with both fields experiencing growth in job opportunities. However, the specific job market may vary depending on the industry and location.

5. Is it necessary to have a physics background to be successful in engineering?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in physics to be successful in engineering. While a strong understanding of physics can be helpful, engineers also need knowledge and skills in other areas such as design, materials, and project management.