What's the difference between these 2 graphs?

In summary, the speaker has two functions g(x) and h(x) that are derived from the original function f(x). The first function, g(x), is vertically stretched by 2, horizontally stretched by 2, and shifted left by 1 and up by 1. The second function, h(x), is a simplified version of 2g(x/2 + 1/2) + 2, and when substituted with the value of g(x/2 + 1/2), it becomes 4f(x/4 + 5/4) + 2. The speaker also clarifies that there may be a typo in their original post, as the function g(x) is defined as 2g(x
mathman100
I have my original graph f, and I want to make 2 other graphs out of it (each with their own transformations.)
g(x)=2g(1/2x+1)
so it gets stretched vertically by 2, stretched horizontally by 2, goes left 1 and up 1.
But my problem is with h(x)=2[g((x+1)/2)+1)]
What are the transformations made here? Are they the same as g(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean g(x) = 2f(x/2 + 1) and h(x) = 2[g((x+1)/2) + 1]. I don't know why you think that g is vertically shifted (it isn't), but otherwise your description for it is fine.

You can simplify that expression for h(x) to 2g(x/2 + 1/2) + 2. Then substituting in g(x/2 + 1/2) = 2f((x/2 + 1/2)/2 + 1) = 2f(x/4 + 5/4) you get h(x) = 4f(x/4 + 5/4) + 2. That help?

(I am not sure whether I have interpreted your function definitions correctly, so these are just guesses. Are you sure you typed everything out properly? In your post you defined g(x) = 2g(x/2 + 1) which I assume is a typo.)

Last edited:

The two graphs g(x) and h(x) have different transformations applied to them. While g(x) has a vertical stretch of 2, a horizontal stretch of 2, and a shift left by 1 and up by 1, h(x) has a vertical stretch of 2, a horizontal stretch of 1/2, and a shift right by 1 and up by 1.

In g(x), the transformations are applied in the order of horizontally stretching first, then vertically stretching, and finally shifting. This results in a wider and taller graph compared to the original graph f.

On the other hand, in h(x), the order of transformations is different. The graph is first shifted to the right by 1, then horizontally stretched by 1/2, and finally vertically stretched by 2. This results in a narrower and taller graph compared to the original graph f.

Therefore, the transformations made in g(x) and h(x) are not the same. They have different effects on the original graph f, resulting in two different graphs.

What's the difference between these 2 graphs?

The differences between two graphs can vary depending on the specific characteristics and data being represented. However, some common differences include the type of graph (e.g. bar graph vs. line graph), the scales used on the axes, the units of measurement, and the overall shape or pattern of the data.

Why do the two graphs look different?

The two graphs may look different due to differences in the data being represented. For example, if one graph is a bar graph and the other is a line graph, the visual appearance will be very different. Similarly, if the scales or units of measurement are different, the graphs will also look different.

Which graph is more accurate?

Both graphs can be accurate, as long as they are properly constructed and represent the data correctly. However, some graphs may be better suited for certain types of data or comparisons. It's important to consider the purpose and context of the data when determining which graph is more accurate.

How do I choose which graph to use?

Choosing the right graph depends on the type of data, the purpose of the graph, and the audience. It's important to consider the relationships and patterns you want to highlight and select a graph that effectively communicates that information. Experimenting with different types of graphs can also help determine which one is most suitable.

Can I use both graphs to represent the same data?

Yes, it is possible to use both graphs to represent the same data. However, it may not always be necessary or effective to do so. Using multiple graphs to represent the same data can sometimes lead to confusion, so it's important to consider the purpose and audience before deciding to use multiple graphs.