1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between these 2 graphs?

1. Sep 26, 2006 #1
    I have my original graph f, and I want to make 2 other graphs out of it (each with their own transformations.)
    g(x)=2g(1/2x+1)
    so it gets stretched vertically by 2, stretched horizontally by 2, goes left 1 and up 1.
    But my problem is with h(x)=2[g((x+1)/2)+1)]
    What are the transformations made here? Are they the same as g(x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2006 #2
    I assume you mean g(x) = 2f(x/2 + 1) and h(x) = 2[g((x+1)/2) + 1]. I don't know why you think that g is vertically shifted (it isn't), but otherwise your description for it is fine.

You can simplify that expression for h(x) to 2g(x/2 + 1/2) + 2. Then substituting in g(x/2 + 1/2) = 2f((x/2 + 1/2)/2 + 1) = 2f(x/4 + 5/4) you get h(x) = 4f(x/4 + 5/4) + 2. That help?

(I am not sure whether I have interpreted your function definitions correctly, so these are just guesses. Are you sure you typed everything out properly? In your post you defined g(x) = 2g(x/2 + 1) which I assume is a typo.)

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?