Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B What's the energy source for the Van der Waals' forces?

1. Jun 5, 2017 #1
    Hi, I know that if you put a dipole and a neutral molecule at a certain distance, there is the Debye's force that attract them. If you put the same molecules in the first position, they will attract another time.

I know this can be a stupid answers, but what's the font of that energy? The permanent charge of the paricles? If yes, is it the energy of the Big Bang?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi,

With font you mean source, right ?
    And I would say the electrostatic field from the charges is the source. Dipoles interact. Charges interact. It's what they do for a living.

Searching for anything deeper gets you into endless threads with less relevant content :rolleyes: (there will be folks with a different opinion, though).

4. Jun 5, 2017 #3
    Thank you very much! Yes I mean source, sorry for my bad english :D. Anyway, is that source the Big Bang energy? The charges are the elementary particles, with a permanent charge, so that charge is alimented by the Big Bang energy, is it correct?

5. Jun 5, 2017 #4
    If you put the system in the starting situation every time the forces are present and re-attracts/repells the moleculs in the same way, creating a loop, isn'it right? But the source of energy should finish, or no?

6. Jun 5, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Energy is conserved

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted