What's the expected value of this problem (random variable)?

In summary: But that wasn't what you were asked for. You were asked for the expected value of the sum of two die rolls, not the expected value of their difference. I answered that in my first post.In summary, the expected value of the random variable X, which represents the difference between the result of two dice rolls, is 0. This is due to the symmetry of the probabilities for each possible outcome. To find the expected value of the sum of two dice rolls, you can use the formula E(X+Y) = E(X) + E(Y), where X and Y are two random variables.
EdmureTully

Homework Statement

What's the expected value of this problem (random variable)?

X: represent the result of dice number 1 - result of dice number 2

example dice 1 first roll = 2; second roll = 3
dice 2 first roll = 1; second roll = 2

X = 2+3 -(1+2) = 2

what's the expected value of X

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it's 0, because the Expected value of dice 1 is the same as that of dice 2

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you know how to create a table for discrete random variable, showing the outcome of ##X## and it's probability ##P(X)##. Do that first before you try to calculate the ##E(x)##

I don't even know that. Our teacher didn't show us any of that. He just skipped over a lot of material.

It's not a homework problem. I just tried to think of an example that may eventually help me in doing my assignment.

Also, if you happen to have a document with a lot of examples that shows you how to compute E(X) that is easy to understand, don't hesitate. Thank you.

EdmureTully said:
I don't even know that. Our teacher didn't show us any of that. He just skipped over a lot of material.

It's not a homework problem. I just tried to think of an example that may eventually help me in doing my assignment.

Also, if you happen to have a document with a lot of examples that shows you how to compute E(X) that is easy to understand, don't hesitate. Thank you.

I'm referring to this table:
Expectations06.gif

Ok why don't you look at this page here: (You can no doubt search more in google also)
http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/probability/calcdice.htm

Or this video from Khan's Academy
https://www.khanacademy.org/math/probability/random-variables-topic/random_variables_prob_dist/v/expected-value--e-x

Last edited by a moderator:
Seydlitz said:
I'm referring to this table:
Expectations06.gif
I don't understand the relationship between that table and the OP. That table appears to be more to do with tossing a coin 5 times than with rolling a die twice.
More usefully, if you have two random variables, X and Y, then E(X+Y) = E(X)+E(Y). You can use this both to get the expected value of the sum of two rolls of a die, and to get the expected difference from the other sum.

haruspex said:
I don't understand the relationship between that table and the OP. That table appears to be more to do with tossing a coin 5 times than with rolling a die twice.
More usefully, if you have two random variables, X and Y, then E(X+Y) = E(X)+E(Y). You can use this both to get the expected value of the sum of two rolls of a die, and to get the expected difference from the other sum.

I'm just giving an example of discrete distribution table from the internet. Maybe he can recall if it was previously taught.

The smallest possible value of a single roll of a single die is 1. The largest possible value is 6. The smallest possible value of "the result of die #1- the result of die #2" is 1- 6= -5 and that is possible only with "1" and "5". What is the probability of that?

You can get -4 in two different ways: 1- 5 and 2- 6. What are the probabilities of "1 and 5" and "2 and 6"? So what is the probability of "1 and 5 or 2 and 6"?

Continue that until you get to +5, given by 6- 1. You should quickly see a pattern that will simplify the calculations.

Didn't see that. I don't even know what that means.

haruspex said:

What did you do? Did you use the Discrete Binomial Distribution and why do you have 10/32 in the middle?

HallsofIvy said:
The smallest possible value of a single roll of a single die is 1. The largest possible value is 6. The smallest possible value of "the result of die #1- the result of die #2" is 1- 6= -5 and that is possible only with "1" and "5". What is the probability of that?

You can get -4 in two different ways: 1- 5 and 2- 6. What are the probabilities of "1 and 5" and "2 and 6"? So what is the probability of "1 and 5 or 2 and 6"?

Continue that until you get to +5, given by 6- 1. You should quickly see a pattern that will simplify the calculations.

The pattern I see leads me to believe it's 0.

I was hoping for a pattern for the probabilities of "-5", "-4", ..., "4", "5": probability of -5 is 1/36, -4 is 2/36= 1/18, -3 is 3/36= 1/12, etc. But if you mean that the expected value is 0, yes, that is correct because of the symmetry: a- b and b- a are equally likely.

1. What is the definition of expected value?

The expected value of a random variable is the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their respective probabilities. It represents the average value of a random variable over a large number of trials.

2. How is expected value calculated?

The expected value is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its probability and then summing all of these products together. This can be represented by the formula E(X) = ΣxP(x), where X is the random variable, x is a possible outcome, and P(x) is the probability of that outcome.

3. What does the expected value tell us?

The expected value tells us the average outcome we can expect from a random variable over a large number of trials. It is a useful tool in decision-making, as it can help us determine the most likely outcome and make informed choices.

4. Can the expected value be negative?

Yes, the expected value can be negative. This means that the average outcome of a random variable is less than zero. It is important to consider the context of the problem in order to interpret a negative expected value correctly.

5. How is expected value used in real-world applications?

Expected value is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in insurance to calculate premiums, in finance to evaluate investments, and in gambling to determine the odds of winning. It is also used in decision-making processes to evaluate potential outcomes and make informed choices.