Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the part called that converts motor power into electricity?

  1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    What's the part called that converts spinning, rotor, motor power into electricity?

    If I were to buy one what would I call it?

    Regards, David
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2012 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Modern cars use an alternator, older ones may have a generator.
  4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Whats the difference? An alternator is a small generator isn't it?
  5. Mar 8, 2012 #4


    User Avatar

    Alternator, generator, dynamo, magneto... then there are also a pile of electrostatic machines too...

    If you were to buy one, the question is; what do you want it to do?

    High voltage, high current, low voltage, low current, AC, DC, pulsed..?
  6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    An alternator produces AC a generator DC.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook