Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the relation (IMPORTANT)?

1. Jan 27, 2006 #1
    What's the relation (IMPORTANT)??

Hi guys, let me introduce my self, i'm a physicist studying in the university of aleppo...

I want the relation between those number as a continuous function, my head is gonna blow !!! i can't find it, can any one help?

hint: I can see that every number (y) is multiplied by 1/x

PLEASE, I don't want any approximation, interpolation or anything like that cuz i can do it alone, i need an exact function

for example, beta, gamma, airy, fresnels s and c, hermite, legender, or anything else BUT PLEEEEASE AN EXACT FUNCTION,

I've attached the graph of this damn function

It's not an easy question, i don't think i'm receiving an answer before 10 years, lol !!!

Thanks Guys

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Those look like the harmonic numbers:

[tex]H_n = \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k} [/tex]

I don't believe there is an explicit formula for the nth term, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I'm sorry. Apparently there is one, although I don't know how useful it would be to you. See the mathworld article on harmonic numbers.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  4. Jan 27, 2006 #3
    Thank you, but i wanted it as a CONTINUOUS FUNCTION, not as a sum, integrals can be accepted as i mentioned above, thanks anyway for the link, any other ideas?
  5. Jan 27, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Well, as the link mentions, the Harmonic numbers are given by:

[tex]H_n = \gamma + \psi_0(n+1)[/tex]

where [itex]\gamma[/itex] is the Euler-Masceroni constant and [itex]\psi_0(x)[/itex] is the digamma function, related to the gamma function [itex]\Gamma(x)[/itex] by:

[tex]\psi_0(x) = \frac{\Gamma'(x)}{\Gamma(x)}[/tex]

So the function:

[tex]f(x)=\gamma + \psi_0(x+1)[/tex]

Is a continuous function which has the Harmonic numbers as its value at the positive integers.
  6. Jan 27, 2006 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

Did you look at the link? The answer you want is there.
  7. Jan 28, 2006 #6
    Sorry, The time was 2 am, and i saved the link and went to bed, thank you guys, i got what i want

Thanks again
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2006
  8. Feb 1, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've edited the original post (and the subthread related to what I cut out) in the hopes that I don't have to lock this.
  9. Feb 1, 2006 #8
    LOL !!! Why should you Hurkyl?? we didn't do anything wrong, did we? it's just a discussion about sciences !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?