What's with all these nonsense trophies?

• Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
In summary, the change to "like" is a way to make it more like social media, which is bad because it smacks of social media and was discussed here previously.
o:)

Likes phinds
Physics news on Phys.org
:p

Likes phinds
I like the likes and how they're are handled here. I see no need for any change.

Likes cristo, Evo, Borek and 1 other person
dlgoff said:
I like the likes and how they're are handled here. I see no need for any change.
I've felt positive about the likes, too. It extends the opportunity to acknowledge the quality of exceptional posts, attitudes, and other positive attributes of a post without confining it to "Thanks". This is most assuredly an added value. Also very glad to confine to Likes (no dislikes), 'cause that's just unproductive.

I would like to play a Devil's Advocate role for a moment for the purpose of hearing opinions:
My brief post #31 was a 'two-bird stone'. To report the good news to Greg and members, and my mention of pushing bits in the wee hours was a progammer-to-programmer compliment. No likes on that message, but that's O.K. - really. Posts after that enjoyed one or more likes even when exchanging only an emoticon. And I understand the friendships here and the fun y'all are having. I'm more than "OK" with that.

The PF lounge is a great area here, and I've enjoyed threads of all kinds like finding the photo contest because ZapperZ is back for it. With Random Thoughts, Jokes, Memes, Kitten threads... I see a potential for more Likes to be exchanged in the PF lounge areas than the Homework and Science areas. I feel like Mr. Scrooge dumping bah humbugs into the mix, but not true. I think the Likes should evolve how the administration and members would like/hope to see, and raising this perspective at first thought for the benefit of all and to hear your thoughts.

Likes Borg and Evo
@Evo - I see a couple of Likes from you, and feel good that you felt those posts were deserving of such acknowledgment. :oops:

Yet no reply? :(

Your opinion(s) are most welcome, dare I say encouraged?

TumblingDice said:
Yet no reply? :(
I'm on the phone, but wanted you to know you have my support. :)

Evo said:
They're breeding. Why don't we have an angry smiley? We need an angry smiley.

We need a facepalm smiley.

I like the addition of the like button, but I also miss the satisfaction of collecting thanks by helping people with homework. It would be nice if we could have both.

jz92wjaz said:
I like the addition of the like button, but I also miss the satisfaction of collecting thanks by helping people with homework. It would be nice if we could have both.

I think both would make everything complicated..

phinds said:
Yeah I agree, and you'll also notice that the "thanks", which had some meaning and a place to insert a comment, have become "like" with no comments or meaning. Sad to say but I think PF is trending towards a social media forum :(
Funny you say that, as mentioned PF has always been a social medium. I've never understood why people dislike likes, it's proven to improve the community feel. If you dislike a post, then reply to it to explain what is wrong.

Last edited:
If we were to reintroduce "Thanks", I'd say we still do keep "Like". In the old Physics Forums version, whenever I saw a post I agreed with, I was tempted to hit the "Thanks" button. However, I stopped as it was mostly for the person who asked the question. With "Like", I can say I agree/like a post even though I didn't ask the question.

Rocket50 said:
If we were to reintroduce "Thanks",
I'm sorry this is not an option. It doesn't exist.

I'm curious as to how some of the trophies work. I'm seeing a lot of people who have been on the forum for a day or two and have trophies that most people who have been here for years don't have like The Senator. Even Greg and Evo don't have that. I suspect that some are calculated as a percentage of a variable over the number of posts such that only new members could ever achieve them. But that's a guess since they aren't well defined. Here's an actual list of trophies that one member has that has been on the site for a single day:
  1. 30
    Awarded: Yesterday at 6:40 AM
    The lobbyist
    You can make anyone agree with you
  2. 20
    The Senator
    Wow you have quite some influence now
  3. 12
    College Debate Team
    People are starting to really listen
  4. 4
    High School Debate Team
    Members generally like what you have to say
  5. 1
    Awarded: Yesterday at 1:40 AM
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.
So 5 hours after their first post, they've got 67 trophy points with 3 posts and 3 likes? :oldconfused:

Another one that confuses me is The Regular. I'm on PF every day though I may not always post something. I guess I'm not that kind of regular?

Likes RonL
Borg said:
I'm curious as to how some of the trophies work. I'm seeing a lot of people who have been on the forum for a day or two and have trophies that most people who have been here for years don't have like The Senator. Even Greg and Evo don't have that. I suspect that some are calculated as a percentage of a variable over the number of posts such that only new members could ever achieve them. But that's a guess since they aren't well defined. Here's an actual list of trophies that one member has that has been on the site for a single day:
  1. 30
    The lobbyist
    You can make anyone agree with you
  2. 20
    The Senator
    Wow you have quite some influence now
  3. 12
    College Debate Team
    People are starting to really listen
  4. 4
    High School Debate Team
    Members generally like what you have to say
  5. 1
    Awarded: Yesterday at 1:40 AM
    First Message
    Post a message somewhere on the site to receive this.
So 5 hours after their first post, they've got 67 trophy points with 3 posts and 3 likes? :oldconfused:

Another one that confuses me is The Regular. I'm on PF every day though I may not always post something. I guess I'm not that kind of regular?
I'm replying because I saw the same thing :oldconfused:, 3 likes on two post must be a percentage thing.
You have to say, those cute glasses on a bunny looks pretty nifty :biggrin:

It is a percentage thing and something I'd been meaning to change and update.

Likes Borg, Orodruin and RonL
That one always puzzled me ...

Greg Bernhardt said:
It is a percentage thing and something I'd been meaning to change and update.
Well there goes my strategy. I figured that I needed to get another 780 likes without posting anything of value that would increase my post count. Hmm, lots of likes with little content - actually it does describe a senator pretty well. :w

Likes Borek, RonL and Greg Bernhardt
And another step closer...

Likes Borek and RonL