Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's with all these nonsense trophies?

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I presume some of these "trophies" are system--generated? Some of mine are just silly. (Actually, most of them are silly, just in different degrees.)

Is there a way to delete one's trophies?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah I agree, and you'll also notice that the "thanks", which had some meaning and a place to insert a comment, have become "like" with no comments or meaning. Sad to say but I think PF is trending towards a social media forum :(

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3

adjacent

Gold Member

I think 'like' should be renamed to 'thanks' again.

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

But if the comment area is left out, it's still just social media stuff, although I agree "thanks" would be better than "like". I REALLY hate that "like" since it smacks so totally of social media. "Like" was discussed here long before the move and it was roundly denounced, as well it should have been, and for for the very reason I state.

6. Sep 21, 2014 #5
    Just because it "smacks of social media stuff" doesn't mean it's bad. In essence, like is an improved version of thanks because now you can quickly identify the quality posts, so just try to look past your biases and focus on the functionality.

7. Sep 21, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I disagree. It IS bad. It's a meaningless social media thing. It was discussed here previously and that was the consensus, so it's not just me (although I certainly recognize that at least some people agree w/ you). I think "like" in social media is totally frivolous and I hate to see PF going in that direction.

8. Sep 21, 2014 #7

DataGG

Gold Member

I agree that "thanks" would be better than "like". I at-least have been liking posts as if I was thanking them. But meh, it's not a big deal.

9. Sep 21, 2014 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's really not - it either means that you agree with what is posted, or you are thankful for the helpful comments made. So, really, it's more general than the "thanks" that we had previously.

10. Sep 21, 2014 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't mind the "like" feature, but I don't view it as a replacement for the "thanks" feature. This will be used in a different way. "Like" is a quick way to just say "I agree with this", "I find this useful", "I find this funny", "Good job", etc. It will usually be clear from the context what a "like" means. (If it's not going to be clear, then you should type a reply instead of just clicking "like"). In other forums, I've seen people quote a post in its entirety and just type "+1". I think "like" is a much better option than that.

I don't want the "like" feature renamed to "thanks" unless we also make it so that we can type in a message. I wouldn't mind if it's a public message. For example, the message could be shown when you put your mouse pointer over the person's name.

I couldn't resist the temptation to click "like" on phinds's posts above. :)

11. Sep 21, 2014 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I couldn't resist the temptation to click "like" on Fredrik's posts above.

12. Sep 21, 2014 #11
    I agree the comment portion should be left in, the 'designation' seems unimportant.

13. Sep 21, 2014 #12

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I resisted the temptation to click like on either one :)

14. Sep 21, 2014 #13

Evo

I think the trophies are funny. I want more. The likes on posts, I see them on my profile, but until they were mentioned in this thread, I hadn't even noticed that you could see them on a post, I guess a lot of people won't notice them. So, if you aren't interested, just ignore them. We're not rating posts, at least not right now, so it doesn't matter.

Edit, Uhm, Phinds, where's my like?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  15. Sep 21, 2014 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If Greg keeps changing the emeritus badge, though, I'm going to have to keep changing my avatar.

16. Sep 21, 2014 #15

Evo

I thought you'd gone into mourning. :( We need our old smilies back.

17. Sep 21, 2014 #16
    You can redeem them for valuable monetary rewards!

18. Sep 21, 2014 #17
    Like could be changed to something to give it more flair, like laitn,
    maximus licimus

19. Sep 22, 2014 #18

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Trophies called or otherwise, just means to keep your contributions noted and in a visibile and quantifiable way rewarded.

This IS a privately owned, well managed, tightly and accurately moderated social network, a classy act on the internet. Turning 'thanks' into 'like' is a way to show that you LIKE how and what that person wrote, not only that you thank him/her for hw help or giving you a piece of information, so it's an extension of a nice feature, not a diminishing of importance.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  20. Sep 22, 2014 #19

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Although I completely agree w/ you that PF is a class act, I do NOT agree at all that it is a "social network", at least not in the way that I normally hear that term used. Witness the ban on social network "crap-speak" (as opposed to spelled out proper English), foul language, disrespecting other members, etc. I think it would be better described as a sociable physics forum, not at all a "social network" and I continue to disagree w/ the appropriateness of "like" rather than "thanks" with room for a comment. I understand that some will not share my thoughts on the meaning of "social network" and I DO see that it is open to interpretation that lets the PF in, I just hate the idea :)

21. Sep 22, 2014 #20
    Like it or not, message boards and forums are the original social networks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook