What's wrong? Electron acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an electron with initial velocity and acceleration, and the attempt at finding its acceleration using equations. The mistake was due to using scientific notation and a more specific number was calculated to get the correct answer.
studypersist
I am working on this problem but I got it wrong. I'm not sure what happened.

Homework Statement

An electron with initial velocity Vo = 2.3e5 m/s enters a region 1.0 cm long where it is electrically accelerated. It emerges with velocity v = 4.10e6 m/s. What was its acceleration, assumed constant?

_________ m/s^2

Homework Equations

DeltaX = 1/2 (Vo + V)t

V = Vo +at

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought these were my known variables:

Vo = 2.3e5 m/s
DeltaX = 1.0 cm
Vf = 4.10e6 m/s

I tried to solve for t using DeltX equation. I got 4e-9 s. Then I tried to solve for a using my new value for t and V equation. I got 9.675e14 m/s^2 which is wrong. So anyone know what happened?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vr+V0= 4100000+ 230000= 433000 or 4.33 e5 m/s. Half of that is 2.665 e5 and deltax= 1 cm= 0.01 m. t= 0.01/(2.665 e5= 3.75 e-8 s, not -9. Try your calculation again, not using scientific notation this time. That may be what is confusing you.

Vf- V0= 4100000- 230000= 387000 or 3.87 e5 m/s. Dividing that by 3.75 e-8 gives an acceleration of 1 x 1014 m/s2. Your equations are right. Check your arithmetic.

Thank you. When I solved for t, i got .000000004 and I thought it would be like totally okay to just use 4e-9. When I tried it again I got a more specific number by using SN button on my calculator. Using 4.6189e-9 for t, I got the right answer. 8.37855e14

What is electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration is a phenomenon in which electrons gain kinetic energy and accelerate to higher speeds.

What causes electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration can be caused by various factors such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and collisions with other particles.

What are the applications of electron acceleration?

Electron acceleration has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, medical imaging, and telecommunications.

How is electron acceleration studied?

Electron acceleration is studied using various experimental techniques such as particle accelerators and electron microscopy.

What are the potential risks of electron acceleration?

The main risk associated with electron acceleration is radiation exposure, which can be harmful to living organisms. Proper safety measures must be taken when working with high-energy electron beams.