What's wrong with the vibration shaker?

• Thread starter zhappybird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary, the speaker has a VTS-100 shaker and has performed an acceleration frequency response test on it using a function generator, amplifier, and laser vibrometer. They used LABVIEW to control the equipment and have attached their results. However, the results show several peaks instead of a smooth line, indicating resonance frequency. The speaker questions if their measurement is wrong or if the shaker is faulty. Another person suggests that the difficulty may be due to an overly simplified mathematical model not accurately describing the physical system. They also mention the possibility of harmonics from the shaker's bracket.
zhappybird
Hi There,
I have a VTS(vibration test system)-100 shaker. To make sure it works correctly, I have done a acceleration frequency response test for the bare shaker. In which, I place an accelerometer on the top of the shaker platform, use a function generator and amplifier to drive the shaker at sweeping frequency from 2 Hz to 6000 Hz. I also use a polytech laser vibrometer to detect the displacement of the point on the shaker platform close to the location of the accelerometer. I use LABVIEW to control the oscilloscope and function generator. Attached are my result. From the acceleration frequency response graph, I see several peaks indicating the "resonance" frequency, according to the vibration theory, the acceleration should be a continuous function of the frequency, it should be a smooth line without any resonance peaks. What is wrong with my measurement? or the shaker is bad? I have made sure the accelerometer is good.
Thanks.
Mike

Attachments

• forsorum.jpg
    forsorum.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 527
Engineering news on Phys.org
could you be getting harmonics? do these same results show on every try?

I suspect that the difficulty arises from trying to make an overly simple mathematical model fully describe a real physical system. All real systems have infinitely many modes of vibration, yet we never develop models of that level of complexity. You have just run headlong up against reality!

Looking at a picture of the little beast, you could be getting mode plus harmonic for the bracket.

1. What causes the vibration shaker to malfunction?

There are several potential reasons for a vibration shaker to malfunction. Some common causes include worn or damaged parts, improper use or maintenance, and electrical or mechanical issues.

2. How can I troubleshoot a vibration shaker that is not working?

The first step in troubleshooting a malfunctioning vibration shaker is to check for any visible damage or loose parts. If there are no obvious issues, you may need to consult the manufacturer's manual or contact their customer support for further assistance.

3. Can a vibration shaker be repaired, or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a vibration shaker can be repaired if the issue is minor. However, if the damage is extensive or the cost of repairs is too high, it may be more cost-effective to replace the shaker.

4. How often does a vibration shaker need to be calibrated?

The frequency of calibration for a vibration shaker depends on the specific model and its usage. Generally, it is recommended to calibrate the shaker at least once a year or after any major repairs or adjustments.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a vibration shaker?

It is important to follow all safety protocols outlined in the manufacturer's manual when using a vibration shaker. This may include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, avoiding overloading the shaker, and conducting regular maintenance checks.