What's Your Current Book, and What's Next on Your Reading List?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Reading
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
138 replies · 17K views
There was only one footnote...:confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the copy I have has a lot more than just one footnote :confused:

Unfortunately because they're there I have to read them...I don't know why, but I just can't help myself. So yeah, that was a major annoyance for me as a result.
 
Last edited:
Not surprising. yomamma has the edition for 12 year olds.
 
yomamma said:
There was only one footnote...:confused:
I had to go back and double check. You're right...no footnotes in my version (or very few since flipping through the pages didn't reveal them readily). I have read books with footnotes though, so it was easy to misremember that bit.

The footnotes must be something added by the editors/publishers...maybe under pressure from various groups to provide factual information? I've read other books where the publisher has done that, to fill in historical information to help explain the author's intent or whatnot. I do find it irritating...if I wanted commentary along with the story, I'd buy the Cliff's Notes for the book. :rolleyes:

Do you have a hardcover or paperback version? Mine's the hardcover version because I bought it before it was hyped by everyone, when it was still fairly new.
 
Currently I'am reading:
The complete idoits guide for Caclus(not that I'am one but when your learning Caclus for fun your either a genius or your not)
Physics Demystified
 
arildno said:
Not surprising. yomamma has the edition for 12 year olds.
1. I'm 14
2. It is not the edition for 12 year olds:cry:
 
Okay, then. You and Moonbear have the same edition. :smile:
 
yomamma said:
1. I'm 14
2. It is not the edition for 12 year olds:cry:
But you were 12 when you signed up for this site.
 
The one I have is a paperback version and it was given to me well after it became popular. I don't really know how the book distributions work, but maybe Australia has the footnote crazy books :smile:.
 
yomamma said:
but I was 14 when I got the book
Are you sure:
Do do leap seconds, leap years, and calander inaccerises you could be 9 1/2
 
bigman said:
I don't really know how the book distributions work, but maybe Australia has the footnote crazy books .
Probably that's it:
After all, what else can you do than read footnotes if you live in Tasmania or Alice Springs?
 
arildno said:
Probably that's it:
After all, what else can you do than read footnotes if you live in Tasmania or Alice Springs?
Astronomy.
 
turbo-1 said:
Astronomy.

Yep, the late Grote Reber went to Tasmania to practice radioastronomy
 
turbo-1 said:
Astronomy.
Ah yes, and sheep herding and opossum hunting as well, probably.
Obviously, Australia is the place to live.
 
just picked this one up:

5082319.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V50356771_.jpg


it was ridiculously expensive for such a small book, but it's an easy read & I'm learning a lot.
 
I think I saw this book at B&N, a few weeks ago. There isn't too much math, but just proze reading, afair, is it? How is it, do you like it?
 
heartless said:
I think I saw this book at B&N, a few weeks ago. There isn't too much math, but just proze reading, afair, is it? How is it, do you like it?

yeah it's not a math book, it's a book ABOUT math :-p it's just a book about math & what mathematicians do. there are chapters on computers & math, unsolved problems, how mathematicians think, proofs, learning math, how the author almost became a lawyer, pure & applied math, teaching math & other stuff. it's not intended for math people but i think it's still pretty good so far.
 
Okay, for anyone who likes suspense stories, I'm definitely recommending The Eleventh Commandment that I mentioned earlier in the thread (except for Franz, who needs to ponder deeper meaning and metaphor). I finished reading it earlier this evening, and it had some fantastic twists in the plot...I never saw the ending coming! Definitely not predictable, which is rare. And it's a nail-biter, from beginning to end! I also give it a one tissue box rating (i.e., definitely some tear-jerker chapters if you're susceptible to that :shy:).