Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators What's your favorite calculator?

1. Aug 2, 2011 #1
    What's your favorite calculator and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2011 #2

Dembadon

Gold Member

[PLAIN]http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/39rJvE1sIWQYuswLuw2fd-iuHRJVLwlFDF-AVJiToaPf2_8tvW7B4H3quDqig44_A9CtZQjffI5BEXChlh6u5D5dKgrQh-0Gq6NYGgtTA7_DsLUXDp-v5AWeZARzPvMkV5Sm4lFgYRF2VNtGqgzKtl3tbzipDbBxr2v3PRPZE0ktUSxMsu4raA [Broken]

I've used that calculator since middle school. I actually don't use calculators in my math courses anymore, but it works just fine for my other science needs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  4. Aug 2, 2011 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bought a Sharp Scientific calculator when I started college decades ago. I moved up to programmable types, various HPs with the reverse Polish notation, and fancy graphing ones.

Now at work I use the very same Sharp I bought so long ago...sigh, first love :!!).

el509a-1.jpg

5. Aug 2, 2011 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nearly all the math I do now doesn't involve numbers.

6. Aug 2, 2011 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My good old circa 1997 TI-89 is always close at hand. On-board unti-aware calculation and symbolic differentiation/integration is a must! Anything more complex than that, and I make a MathCAD sheet.

TI-89.jpg

7. Aug 2, 2011 #6
    TI-89 here as well.

8. Aug 2, 2011 #7
    You'd think they'd have improved these in the last decade... Where's my backlit screen? Come ON.... Features people! It's time for features!

9. Aug 2, 2011 #8
    In all fairness, I would prefer something reliable with a HUGE battery life. Back-lighting comes at a price.

I am a pretty big fan of this little gem as well (as I see most here are):
    k04v1d.jpg

I hear that the HP's are much better if you can adjust to the "RPN" format (whatever that is). Perhaps I will try it out one day, but as a poor student, I chose to stick with what is reliable and cost effective. My older 89 (from like 1999 or something) broke, and I find that this newer model, though a bit thicker, is much faster at calculations and graphing. It doesn't need to "think" nearly as long.

10. Aug 2, 2011 #9
    My feelings about the TI-89 Titanium:

vlcsnap-315212.jpg

11. Aug 2, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Aug 2, 2011 #11

hotvette

Homework Helper

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for my very first calculator - an HP35 I purchased in 1973 for $395. That was a huge amount of money back then but well worth it.

Attached Files:

• HP35.jpg
      HP35.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Aug 2, 2011 #12
  14. Aug 2, 2011 #13
    I was sorely tempted to post a photo of a Curta mechanical calculator. I'd love to get the chance to play with one of those.

I'm currently quite fond of my TI-84 PSE. Its feet have started falling off, but I'm not one to judge. :biggrin:

15. Aug 2, 2011 #14

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

At work (school) I use a TI-84 because most of our students have something similar, and I can show them how to do stuff on it. But I'm really an HP fan, ever since the HP-21 that I bought 36 years ago when I started grad school. On the desk next to me right now, at home, is an HP-11C that I bought probably about 25 years ago. It's still going strong, and I use it for all my calculations at home.

11c.jpg

16. Aug 2, 2011 #15
    my first HP calculator when i went to engineering school was the HP-15C (looks like the 11C above). one of the things i really liked about it was the programming was simple, just a recording of keystrokes. my next, was the HP-48SX, but i never really did get into any expansion or programming with it, beyond simple one-off programs. so the same love wasn't quite there with the 48, despite higher utility. i think if it had been about 10X faster and came shipped with a serial cable and software i would have bonded better with it.

17. Aug 3, 2011 #16
    The best calculator ever!
    brain-763982-1.jpg

18. Aug 3, 2011 #17
    I like the TI-89s but really I rarely use it and when I do I could just use the one that I have downloaded onto my computer.

The calculator I use all the time is a casio fx-991MS

http://www.99shoppe.com/99shoppe/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Casio_fx_991MS_S_49085b1957c7f.jpg

I can do everything I need to on it and what made me originally love it was that it solves any polynomial. In grade 11 and 12 it saved my butt a couple times when I was using it to check my final answers (is that cheating?? haha)

19. Aug 3, 2011 #18
    I'm really happy with my Casio ClassPad. The 2D math feature is so user friendly. I so wish the screen was brighter though.
    2zjlw5k.jpg

20. Aug 3, 2011 #19
    I have TI-84 Plus now, I think it's awesome, before i had TI-82 and
    I don't see much of a different exept faster CPU in TI-84.

No symbolic integrals and equation solver but thats always more easy to do by hand i think.

21. Aug 3, 2011 #20

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I considered the 15C, but I finally decided that for the kinds of calculations I did (and still do), complex numbers, matrices, and numerical integration weren't worth the higher price, so I went with the 11C.

Last summer I found a good deal on a HP 50g at Best Buy and bought one, but I haven't really had the time to teach myself how to use it effectively yet. The 11C is still my workhorse at home.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook