Wheeler's Mutability principle and multiple universes?

In summary, Physicist John A Wheeler proposed the "Principle of mutability" which suggests that the universe could go through cycles of shrinking in a "Big Crunch" and being reborn in a Big Bang, with the laws of physics potentially changing between cycles. There have been further developments in this model, such as Penrose's successor theory of conformal cyclic cosmology, but it remains highly speculative. While the ΛCDM model is generally accepted, it is based on assumptions and the origin of the universe is still a topic of debate.
Suekdccia
TL;DR Summary
Is there any model in theoretical physics combining Wheeler's "Principle of mutability" and multiverses?
Physicist John A Wheeler proposed the "Principle of mutability" which said that it could be the case that the universe would eventually shrink in a "Big Crunch" and the be re-born in another Big Bang. He proposed that the laws of physics (even the considered most fundamental ones) would change and therefore, between cycles, we could have completely different universes.

I find this approach very interesting and I was wondering if any physicists have further developed this model? Specifically, I was wondering if there are any physicists that have proposed that there are multiple co-existing universes, which their most "fundamental" laws (not only effective laws) would change due to Wheeler's principle of mutability. Are there any?

Space news on Phys.org
Suekdccia said:
I find this approach very interesting and I was wondering if any physicists have further developed this model?
The Big Crunch has been pretty much ruled out in concordance cosmology. The Perlmutter and Riess observations that the universal expansion is accelerating not slowing down (since corroborated through other observations) pretty much did it in.

FYI you might want to check out Penrose's successor theory of conformal cyclic cosmology. It is all highly speculative, though I would say ΛCDM rests on a couple massive assumptions.

Likes PeroK
sunrah said:
The Big Crunch has been pretty much ruled out in concordance cosmology. The Perlmutter and Riess observations that the universal expansion is accelerating not slowing down (since corroborated through other observations) pretty much did it in.

FYI you might want to check out Penrose's successor theory of conformal cyclic cosmology. It is all highly speculative, though I would say ΛCDM rests on a couple massive assumptions.
I would say that LCDM is solid, but it rests upon inflation, which rests on some massive assumptions...

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Jorrie said:
LCDM is solid, but it rests upon inflation

I don't think that is the case. The LCDM model, by itself, does not claim that inflation is what came before the Big Bang (the hot, dense, rapidly expanding state that is the earliest state of the universe for which we have good evidence). That claim is an extension to the LCDM model, and not the only possible one.

Yea, I suppose it may be better to say that LCDM modeling is solid, but its original hot, dense, low entropy origin is not, due to many competing models.

1. What is Wheeler's Mutability principle and how does it relate to multiple universes?

Wheeler's Mutability principle is a concept proposed by physicist John Archibald Wheeler that states that the nature of reality is constantly changing and is shaped by the observations and choices of conscious beings. This principle is often used to explain the existence of multiple universes, as each choice or observation creates a new branch of reality.

2. How does Wheeler's Mutability principle challenge traditional views of determinism?

Traditionally, determinism holds that the future is predetermined and that all events are caused by previous events. However, Wheeler's Mutability principle suggests that our choices and observations have the power to shape the future, challenging the idea of a predetermined fate.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support Wheeler's Mutability principle?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support Wheeler's Mutability principle or the existence of multiple universes. However, some theories in quantum mechanics and cosmology, such as the many-worlds interpretation, offer potential explanations for the concept.

4. How does the concept of multiple universes impact our understanding of the universe?

The idea of multiple universes challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as a single, static entity. It suggests that there may be an infinite number of parallel universes, each with its own unique set of physical laws and conditions. This opens up new possibilities for understanding the nature of reality and our place within it.

5. Can we ever prove or disprove the existence of multiple universes?

As of now, it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence of multiple universes. However, advancements in technology and scientific understanding may one day allow us to gather evidence or make observations that support or refute the concept.