Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When a beam of light is passed through a polarizer, it is polarized in

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    When a beam of light is passed through a polarizer, it is polarized in a certain direction, say the x-direction. So, the irradiance or the energy of the initial beam is now reduced. The y-direction electric field could not pass through.
    So, where has the y-direction electric field gone, which carries some of the energy of the initial beam?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Am I oversimplifying? Or are you asking what happens to the energy that doesn't make it through the filter?

It gets absorbed by the filter itself - as heat.

4. Apr 26, 2006 #3

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Depends what the polariser is. Polaroids absorb the non-transmitted components, whereas beam splitters for example will transmit one and reflect the other.

Claude.

5. Apr 27, 2006 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But he's asking about light passing through polarizers.

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I took polariser to mean polarising devices in general, but upon reflection it occured to me the OP may just be referring to polaroids.

Claude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?