When a current is passed through a conductor, will it be charged?

• B
  • Thread starter Rozwind
  • Start date
Rozwind
Please explain me the following answer

Q)When a current is passed through a conductor, will it be charged?
A)
Charge carriers participating in conduction in a conductor are not excess charge carriers. The number of free charge carriers is equal to the number of opposite charge on the nearly stationary ions of the material such that the net charge is zero, whether or not a current is passed through the conductor.

Also, explain me why is the net charge zero even if current is passed through the conductor.

Answers and Replies

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What is your opinion and what have you found out for yourself?
Ask yourself what would happen if there were an excess charge on a conductor in a circuit. Where would it have come from?

...explain me why is the net charge zero even if current is passed through the conductor.
When current flows, the charge carriers (from your point of view) bunch up but, to avoid confusion, since this net charge is frame dependent, it's called magnetism, not charge.

...if there were an excess charge on a conductor in a circuit. Where would it have come from?
The excess charge could come from electrons entering one end of a conductor before a like amount leave the other end.