Please forgive me for being unclear. I'll take a different approach. It is my understanding that as the wires move toward each other (conductors' currents in same direction), each will be moving in an area of increasing flux density that surrounds the other wire. Then, each would experience an increasing change in flux which would induce an increasing emf in the direction that would oppose the wires' motion (Lenz's Law). Therefore, I don't see any connection between the changing magnetic field and any work done in moving the wires. The magnetic field deflects the moving charges' direction of motion in the conductor but it is the prime mover of the charges (the source of the potential driving the charges in the conductors) that ends up doing the work in moving the wires. The induced emf from the changing flux due to the wires motion ends up opposing that motion. As a result, I believe that even for changing magnetic fields, their influence will still always be at right angles to the motion of any particular charge and, therefore, will not do any work throughout the conductor. If I'm incorrect in this, I hope someone will show me.