Nonconservative lagrangian systems

In summary, there are necessary and sufficient conditions for velocity dependent forces to be obtainable from a Lagrangian. If all the forces on a system can be derived from a potential, then Lagrange's equations can be used. However, for forces that cannot be derived from a potential, a dissipation function must be added to the equations of motion. The Lorentz force can be derived from a Lagrangian, while linear frictional forces cannot. The determining factor for whether a velocity-dependent force is obtainable from a Lagrangian is the existence of a function that satisfies certain conditions, as shown in the derivation of Lagrange's equations.
jdstokes
Hi,

I'm in the process of self-teaching myself Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics. In my readings, I've found that some velocity dependent forces (e.g. the Lorentz force) can be derived from a classical Lagrangian whereas others such as friction cannot.

Do there exist necessary and sufficient conditions to decide when velocity dependent forces are obtainable from a Lagrangian, in the same way that velocity independent forces can be obtained from a lagrangian iff they are the gradient of a potential function?

James

Physics news on Phys.org
jdstokes said:
Hi,

I'm in the process of self-teaching myself Lagrangian and Hamiltonian dynamics. In my readings, I've found that some velocity dependent forces (e.g. the Lorentz force) can be derived from a classical Lagrangian whereas others such as friction cannot.

Do there exist necessary and sufficient conditions to decide when velocity dependent forces are obtainable from a Lagrangian, in the same way that velocity independent forces can be obtained from a lagrangian iff they are the gradient of a potential function?

James

If all the forces on a system can be derived from a potential, you can use Lagrange's equation.

If you have forces that can't be derived from a potential, one has the option of re-writing Lagrange's equation (Goldstein, Classical mechanics, pg 23-24)

[tex]
\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_j}} \right) - \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_j} = Q_j
[/tex]

where [itex]Q_j[/itex] is a generalized force that can include forces not derivable from a potential. In many cases, [itex]Q_j[/itex] can be specified via a dissipation function [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] so that [tex]Q_j = \frac{\partial \mathcal{F}}{\dot{q_j}}[/tex]

One then needs to specify L and [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] to get the equations of motion.

Hi pervect,

Thanks for the reply.

I think we need to distinguish between deriving forces from the Lagrangian and adding them directly to the RHS of the E-L equations.

For the Lorentz force, we start with the Lagrangian [itex] L = (1/2)m \dot{\mathbf{r}} \cdot \dot{\mathbf{r}} + e V(\mathbf{r},t) + e \dot{\mathbf{r}}\cdot \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{r},t)[/itex] and then apply the standard, unmodified E-L equation [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\mathbf{r}}} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial \mathbf{r}}[/itex] to obtain the velocity-dependent Lorentz force [itex]m\ddot{\mathbf{r}} = e[\mathbf{E} + \dot{\mathbf{r}}\times \mathbf{B}][/itex]. So we can say that these equations of motion are obtainable directly from a Lagrangian.

If we consider linear frictional forces, on the other hand, we cannot obtain these directly from a Lagrangian, we must add them in later to the RHS of the E-L equations as you describe.

My question: what determines whether a velocity-dependent force is directly obtainable from a Lagrangian?

Thanks

James

The second to last line in the derivation of Lagrange's equations is:

[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_i} = Q_i [/tex]

where Q_i is the generalized force. Then if there is a function V(q_1,...,q_n,t) with:

[tex] \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_i} = - Q_i [/tex]

Then you get lagrange's equations (note this holds in one coordinate system iff it holds in all of them). But more generally, as long as you can find a function [itex]V(q_1,...,q_n,\dot q_1,...,\dot q_n,t)[/itex] with:

[tex]Q_i = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot q_i} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_i} [/tex]

Then you can just take it as your V when you define L=T-V and you get the correct equations. It can be shown that the lorentz force is of this form with:

[tex] V = q \phi - q \vec v \cdot \vec A [/tex]

1. What is a nonconservative lagrangian system?

A nonconservative lagrangian system is a type of physical system where the lagrangian (a function that describes the dynamics of the system) is not conserved. This means that the total energy of the system is not constant, and energy can be lost or gained during the system's motion.

2. How does a nonconservative lagrangian system differ from a conservative lagrangian system?

In a conservative lagrangian system, the total energy is conserved, meaning that the system's energy remains constant throughout its motion. This is not the case for a nonconservative lagrangian system, where energy can be lost or gained due to factors such as friction or external forces.

3. What are some examples of nonconservative lagrangian systems?

Some examples of nonconservative lagrangian systems include a pendulum with air resistance, an object sliding on a rough surface, and a satellite orbiting the Earth due to atmospheric drag. These systems all experience energy loss due to nonconservative forces.

4. How are nonconservative lagrangian systems analyzed?

To analyze a nonconservative lagrangian system, the Euler-Lagrange equations are used. These equations take into account the nonconservative forces and allow for the determination of the system's equations of motion.

5. What are the implications of nonconservative lagrangian systems?

The presence of nonconservative forces in a system can lead to changes in the system's behavior and dynamics. It can also affect the stability of the system and the accuracy of predictions made using the lagrangian formalism. Nonconservative lagrangian systems are important to consider in many areas of physics, such as mechanics and fluid dynamics.