1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function?

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When does a Taylor's Series not converge to its original function? the commonly given example is
    [tex]e^\frac{-1}{x^2}[/tex]
    But I really don't get how it works... For example if we find the series around the point x=1, then

http://www4a.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP75061a390i474cg906c800004hhd9d3497i4fa6h?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=58&w=865&h=29 [Broken]

This is the series right? However, but then the value at the point x=0 is undefined, as the denominator x cannot be zero? I really don't understand how this thing works. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    Maybe a simpler example is:
    [itex]\frac{1}{1-x}[/itex] = [itex]\sum x^{n}[/itex]

if you take x=1.1

the sum doesn't converge at all, but f(1.1)=1/(1-1.1)=-10

In this case, the point is outside the sums radius of convergence which is (-1,1)

If you try f(1), f(1) isn't defined. If the function isn't defined at a point, then we shouldn't expect to find its taylor series converging there. I think about this in the following way. If we have an expression for f(x)=T(x) its taylor polynomial. And it was converging at places where f(x) isn't defined (such as 1/0) then we would have a way of finding 1/0.

For example: if we have the taylor series for f(x)=1/x as T(x). And we find T(0) converges to a number, say L, we would have a representation of 1/0=L.

These are 2 of the things that can happen, I'm not sure what else.

And looking at your taylor series it doesn't look quite right to me.

It should be something like f(x)=f(a)+f'(a)/1!(x-a)+f''(a)/2!(x-a)^2+...

I don't think you should have 1/x, 1/x^2 etc. taylor series (that I've seen) don't use 1/x 1/x^2 etc.

Also if you're expanding around 1 you should have (x-1), (x-1)^2, .... terms

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. Sep 30, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your Wolfram Alpha link didn't work. (By the way, don't put IMG tags around web links.)

The function [itex]e^{-1/x^2}[/itex] is undefined at [itex]x = 0[/itex], but its limit is zero as [itex]x \rightarrow 0[/itex], so the correct function to use is in fact
    [tex]
    g(x) = \begin{cases}
    e^{-1/x^2} & \text{if }x \neq 0 \\
    0 & \text{if }x = 0
    \end{cases}
    [/tex]
    This function has the property that [itex]g^{(n)}(0) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], so the Taylor series around [itex]x = 0[/itex] is identically zero. [itex]x = 0[/itex] is the only problematic point; if you expand the series around [itex]x = 1[/itex], the series will converge to [itex]g(x)[/itex] in any interval not containing 0.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 30, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just to add a little to the already written comments. A Taylor series for a function ##f## having all derivatives about the point ##x=a##$$
    \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n$$always converges when ##x=a## to the function's value ##f(a)##. The real question is what about ##x## not at the expansion point ##a##. One example showed that ##f(x)## may fail to equal it's series at a value of ##x## because the series fails to converge there. That happens when ##x## is beyond the radius of convergence distance from ##a##. But in the second example you have a function ##f(x)## having all orders of derivatives at ##x=0## where the Taylor series not only converges to 0 for all ##x## but even all the partial sums are all 0. Yet the Taylor series in this case equals the function only at ##x=0##. Why this is interesting is because here we have an infinitely smooth function whose Taylor series converges for all ##x## but doesn't equal ##f(x)## anywhere but ##x=0##, its expansion point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook