Where Can I Find Information on Testing the Convergence of Taylor Series?

In summary, the question asks you to find the radius of convergence for a given Taylor series centered at a given point, without needing to find the series itself.
Hertz

Homework Statement

Where does the Taylor series converge? [You do not need to find the Taylor Series itself]
[itex]f(x)=...[/itex]

I have a few of these, so I'm mainly curious about how to do this in general.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really made an attempt yet. If I were to make an attempt, it would be to determine the taylor series and then test its convergence, but I'm assuming you're not supposed to do that considering the problem says that you don't have to.

I've done a bunch of research on convergence of taylor series (because calc 2 was so long ago >.<) and all I can really find is stuff about the ratio test. I don't remember learning how to check convergence without actually finding the series

Physics news on Phys.org
Hertz said:

Homework Statement

Where does the Taylor series converge? [You do not need to find the Taylor Series itself]
[itex]f(x)=...[/itex]

I have a few of these, so I'm mainly curious about how to do this in general.

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't really made an attempt yet. If I were to make an attempt, it would be to determine the taylor series and then test its convergence, but I'm assuming you're not supposed to do that considering the problem says that you don't have to.

I've done a bunch of research on convergence of taylor series (because calc 2 was so long ago >.<) and all I can really find is stuff about the ratio test. I don't remember learning how to check convergence without actually finding the series

As you say, the ratio test is commonly used to find the interval of convergence for a given Taylor series. Since we can represent a Taylor series this way -
$$\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{a_n (x - a)^n}{n!}$$

then your question boils down to determining the interval for which this inequality holds.
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{a_{n + 1}|x - a|}{a_n(n + 1)} < 1$$
a and the an's will depend on whatever series you're looking at.

The question explicitly states that you don't have to compute the taylor series. Power series are unique right? So theoretically you should be able to determine radius of convergence just from the function and the center of the taylor series, right? (Yes, it gives me the center of the taylor series. I should have mentioned that originally.)

I'm thinking complex numbers here. In the complex plane, the radius of convergence is simply the shortest distance from the center of the series to a singularity. So, couldn't I make the same argument for real values? The radius of convergence being the shortest distance to a singularity IN THE COMPLEX PLANE?

E.g.
The taylor series for the function [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/itex] centered at zero will have a radius of convergence of 1, because the distance from zero to the closest singularity, i, is 1.

I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work now that I think about it, but of course, I'm not confident enough to use it on my test in a few hours! Can anybody confirm this?

Sure, that's a correct argument. The question is, whether you are allowed to use complex function theory if the problem is asked in a real-analysis course ;-).

Related to Where Can I Find Information on Testing the Convergence of Taylor Series?

1. What is the Taylor Series and why is it important?

The Taylor Series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of its derivatives at a specific point. It is important because it allows us to approximate complex functions with simpler polynomials, making it easier to analyze and solve mathematical problems.

2. What does it mean for a Taylor Series to "converge"?

When a Taylor Series converges, it means that the infinite sum of its derivatives approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, the approximation of the function becomes more accurate as more terms are added.

3. How do you determine if a Taylor Series will converge?

The convergence of a Taylor Series depends on the function and the point at which it is being approximated. Generally, if the derivatives of the function are bounded and decrease in magnitude as the number of terms increases, the series will converge. However, it is important to also consider the behavior of the function at the point being approximated.

4. What is the difference between convergence and uniform convergence of a Taylor Series?

Convergence of a Taylor Series means that the approximation becomes more accurate as the number of terms increases. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, means that the approximation is equally accurate at all points within a given interval. In other words, uniform convergence guarantees that the approximation error is small for all values of x, while convergence only guarantees this for specific values of x.

5. How can you use the remainder term to estimate the error of a Taylor Series approximation?

The remainder term in a Taylor Series is an expression that represents the difference between the actual function and the approximation. By evaluating this term at a specific point, we can estimate the maximum error of the approximation. The larger the value of the remainder term, the less accurate the approximation will be.