When exactly does the tabular method for integration by parts fail?

In summary: The equality of the integrals is enough.This can be verified by noticing that the divergence of the integrals is zero since ##\left|\int fg dx\right| = 0##.This can be verified by noticing that the divergence of the integrals is zero since ##\left|\int fg dx\right| = 0##.
-Dragoon-
I found this interesting but different way to solve integration by parts problems on the internet: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/integration20by20parts2.jpg/

It seems to work well for me when doing most textbook problems, except when the integrand contains a natural logarithm. I just want to know, are there other special circumstances in which you'd have to do use the definition of integration by parts to carry out the integration?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be able to differentiate one of the factor to 0, at which point the table ends. This fails when say, you have integrand of the form of product of exponential and cosine or sine, neither which can be differentiated to zero [there are however also clever way to deal with this kind of integrand, but I have to go now...].

yenchin said:
You need to be able to differentiate one of the factor to 0, at which point the table ends. This fails when say, you have integrand of the form of product of exponential and cosine or sine, neither which can be differentiated to zero [there are however also clever way to deal with this kind of integrand, but I have to go now...].

Interesting, and which method is this? I've tried searching for it and found nothing. Thanks in advance.

yenchin said:

-Dragoon- said:
Interesting, and which method is this? I've tried searching for it and found nothing. Thanks in advance.

He's probably referring to integrals of the form$$\int e^x\sin x\ dx$$ or similar with a cosine. Those require two integrations by parts and then solving for the unknown integral. But an easier way is to observe the ##e^{ix}=\cos x + i \sin x## so the above integral can be done by just taking the imaginary part of $$\int e^xe^{ix}\ dx = \int e^{(1+i)x}\ dx$$Just work that using the exponential rules and rationalize it. You get$$\int e^x\sin x\ dx$$by taking the imaginary part, and for free you also get$$\int e^x\cos x\ dx$$by taking the real part.

I actually have in mind the following:

You can show that the following is true:

Suppose that [itex]\dfrac{d^2f}{dx^2}=nf[/itex] and [itex]\dfrac{d^2g}{dx^2}=mg[/itex], that is if the functions are constant multiple of themselves, and [itex]m \neq n[/itex], then the integral of the product [itex]fg[/itex] is given by

[itex]\displaystyle\int fg dx = \frac{f\frac{dg}{dx}-\frac{df}{dx}g}{m-n} + C[/itex].

Note that there is no need to carry out any integration!

1. What is the tabular method for integration by parts?

The tabular method for integration by parts is a technique used to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It involves creating a table and using repeated integration by parts to simplify the integral until it can be easily evaluated.

2. How do you know when to use the tabular method for integration by parts?

The tabular method is useful when the integral involves a product of two functions, and one of the functions becomes simpler when differentiated multiple times. This is typically the case when one of the functions is a polynomial or a trigonometric function.

3. When does the tabular method for integration by parts fail?

The tabular method may fail if the integral is too complex or if the functions involved do not become simpler after repeated integration by parts. It may also fail if the integral involves trigonometric functions with complex arguments.

4. Are there any alternative methods for evaluating integrals involving products of functions?

Yes, there are other methods such as the substitution method, the trigonometric substitution method, and the partial fraction decomposition method. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of integrals and may be used instead of the tabular method.

5. Can the tabular method for integration by parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, the tabular method can be applied to definite integrals as well. In this case, the integral is evaluated using the fundamental theorem of calculus after applying the tabular method to the indefinite integral.