When something gets stuck , whats going on?

• Thread starter CuriousBanker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
In summary, when a knife gets "stuck" in a wall, it is due to the frictional and adhesive forces between the knife blade and the wall material, which are strong enough to overcome the force of gravity pulling the knife down. This is known as static friction and is determined by the materials and smoothness of the surfaces in contact.
CuriousBanker
When something gets "stuck", what's going on?

Hi,

So I see things in real life, and wonder what is going on physically. I question things that even seem intuitive. I know most of my questions are stupid, but I don't know much about physics. I just bought "conceptual physics" by hewitt on ebay for $7 shipping included. I can't read it yet though because I am studying for my CFA which takes up most of my time.

Anyway, I was at a renaissance fair today, and there was a knife thrower. The tip of the knife strikes the wooden wall, and the knife gets stuck in the wall. But how? I know if the entire knife went in the wall, obviously gravity is pulling it downward and it is resting in the wall. But if only the tip of the knife penetrates the wall, and the other 95% is suspended in the air, how does it not just fall to the floor? Why wouldn't the force of gravity pull the exposed part to the floor? Is there force of gravity between the sides of the knife and the walls touching it overcoming the gravity of the Earth since they are at such a close distance?

Physics news on Phys.org

have you ever stabbed a knife into a watermelon or something similar and then pulled it out. a suction is created that must be overcome to finally remove it. In a similar fashion, the tip is stuck in the wood and the frictional force between the metal and the wood is enough to hold it in place against the force of gravity trying to pull it down. When the knife penetrates the wood the wood is pusshed to the side and then springs back to make a good seal on the blade.

This frictional force can be quite strong. Many times, you'll see knife throwers jiggle the knife back and forth to loosen the frictional grip ( makes the knife cut a little bigger. and finally remove it.

Oh ok. i was wondering what the force was...so it's friction?

I guess I should really just pick up that physics textbook...

CuriousBanker said:
Hi,

... Anyway, I was at a renaissance fair today, and there was a knife thrower. The tip of the knife strikes the wooden wall, and the knife gets stuck in the wall. But how? I know if the entire knife went in the wall, obviously gravity is pulling it downward and it is resting in the wall.

walls are usually vertical so gravity, I imagine isn't playing much part in the knife staying in the wall. rather gravity would be trying to get the knife down to the lowest place ... namely the floor.

But if only the tip of the knife penetrates the wall, and the other 95% is suspended in the air, how does it not just fall to the floor? Why wouldn't the force of gravity pull the exposed part to the floor? Is there force of gravity between the sides of the knife and the walls touching it overcoming the gravity of the Earth since they are at such a close distance?

the thing keeping the knife in the wall is the adhesion and frictional forces between the knife blade and the wall material. Imagine the wall being made out of different materials
and think about how the strength and density of those different materials would affect the friction between the 2 surfaces. High friction ... the knife stays in there, low friction the knife falls out ... gravity overcomes the frictional forces

just my thoughts :)

one of our guru's may light to put a few physics formula into the situation :)

Dave

CuriousBanker said:
Is there force of gravity between the sides of the knife and the walls touching it overcoming the gravity of the Earth since they are at such a close distance?

Gravity is a very weak force that exists between masses. It's so weak that it's usually only a concern when we're dealing with astronomical-sized objects (such as the Earth attracting the knife). However, the gravitational force between the knife and the wall is quite insignificant. I would guess that even a single bacteria would be strong enough to overcome it...

davenn said:
the thing keeping the knife in the wall is the adhesion and frictional forces between the knife blade and the wall material. Imagine the wall being made out of different materials and think about how the strength and density of those different materials would affect the friction between the 2 surfaces. High friction ... the knife stays in there, low friction the knife falls out ... gravity overcomes the frictional forces

I would add these little details:

It is static friction, the kind of friction that exists when two surfaces are not sliding past one another.

It is a different mechanism from kinetic friction, the kind of friction that you have when sliding is taking place.

Static friction is produced by the overlap of the electron clouds in the two surfaces, much weaker than covalent bonding but related to it in origin.

The force that the wall exerts on the knife is called normal force because the force is perpendicular to the surfaces, and normal means perpendicular.

The two surfaces in contact are characterized by a number called the coefficient of static friction, which is determined by what materials the wall and the knife are made of, as well as smoothness or roughness.

The magnitude of the static friction is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force.

1. What causes something to get stuck?

There are several factors that can cause something to get stuck, such as friction, adhesion, or structural issues. Friction occurs when two surfaces rub against each other, creating resistance and making it difficult for them to move past one another. Adhesion is the attraction between two different surfaces, which can also create a sticking effect. Structural issues, such as misalignment or deformities, can also cause objects to get stuck.

2. How can we prevent things from getting stuck?

To prevent things from getting stuck, we can use lubricants to reduce friction and make surfaces smoother. We can also make sure that surfaces are clean and free of debris that can cause adhesion. Properly maintaining and aligning objects can also prevent structural issues that may lead to getting stuck.

3. Why is it harder to unstick something than to get it stuck?

It may seem like un-sticking something should be easier than getting it stuck, but this is not always the case. When something gets stuck, the surfaces may have formed strong bonds due to friction or adhesion, making it difficult to break them apart. Additionally, when trying to unstick something, we may apply more force than necessary, causing more damage and making it even harder to unstick.

4. Can getting something stuck be dangerous?

Yes, getting something stuck can be dangerous, especially if it involves machinery or heavy objects. When something gets stuck, we may try to forcefully remove it, which can lead to injury. Additionally, if something is stuck in a machine, it can cause damage or malfunction, posing a safety risk.

5. How can we safely remove something that is stuck?

The safest way to remove something that is stuck is to first assess the situation and understand the cause of the sticking. We should then try to use a gentle and controlled approach, such as using lubricants or slowly applying force, to free the object. If necessary, we can also seek professional help to safely remove the stuck object.