Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When the electrons hit the bandgap

1. Jul 22, 2008 #1
    how to calculate the phase change of the reflection when the electrons hit the bandgap of a metal from another metal through a common interface? For sure i know there must be a large quantity of them reflected back. but how to model this using the nearly free electron?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

There isn't any bandgap in metals.

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You need to rethink of your question because I suspect you have one thing in mind, but used the wrong words for it.

As has been said, metals do not have "band gaps", at least not around the Fermi level. Most semiconductors/insulators do. I am guessing that you are thinking of a tunneling problem, and the "bandgap" is actually "potential barrier". However, without you reformulating the question accurately, this is only a guess, and I don't normally answer guesses.

Zz.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  5. Jul 23, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that's probably it - tunneling across a barrier potential (+ image charge potential?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?