When the Rational Root Theorem Fails

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a math problem involving a quartic equation with no rational roots. The Rational Roots Theorem fails to find a root, so the next step is to use the quartic formula. However, the conversation also mentions that the original equation may have been typed incorrectly, leading to confusion about the number of solutions. The correct equation has two solutions, but the method for finding these algebraically without using the quartic formula is not mentioned.
drewfstr314
On a math test, one of the questions was to solve [itex]-\sqrt{7-x}=-\frac{x^2}{2}+12x-10[/itex]. I solved graphically with a calculator, but later tried to solve algebraically, when I had more time. The equation is equivalent (with extraneous solutions) to [itex]x^4 + 48x^3 +536x^2 -956x + 372=0[/itex]. This quartic has no rational roots (the rational roots theorem gives ±1, ±2, ±3, ±4, ±6, ±12, ±31, ±62, ±93, ±124, ±186, ±372, but none of these are zeros. I have shown that all real zeros lie in (-62, 2), but this is as far as I have gotten. What is the next step after the Rational Roots Theorem (RRT) has failed to find a root?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The quartic formula! Didn't you learn it in school? :p

For many purposes, the best way to represent a root in this situation is something of the form:

r is the root of [itex]x^4 + 48x^3 +536x^2 -956x + 372=0[/itex] between 0.6 and 0.7​

Incidentally, I plugged your original equation and your quartic equation into wolframalpha and the solutions don't agree -- you've made an error in arithmetic or in transcription. (although correcting your arithmetic won't make things any easier)

The original equation, [itex]-\sqrt{7-x} = -\frac{x^2}{2} + 12x - 10 [/itex] has two solutions, at x1≈0.996 and x2≈-25.242, but the quartic has two extra solutions: at x3≈0.607 and at x4≈-24.361. These last two are extraneous solutions, but x1 and x2 are also solutions of the quartic.

drewfstr314 said:
The original equation, [itex]-\sqrt{7-x} = -\frac{x^2}{2} + 12x - 10 [/itex] has two solutions, at x1≈0.996 and x2≈-25.242, but the quartic has two extra solutions: at x3≈0.607 and at x4≈-24.361. These last two are extraneous solutions, but x1 and x2 are also solutions of the quartic.

I'm pretty sure that the original equation has just one real solution. Write it as:
[tex]\sqrt{7-x} = \frac{x^2}{2} - 12x + 10 [/tex]
and it's clear that the LHS is the upper half of a sideways parabola, with domain [itex]x \leq 7[/itex], while the RHS is a vertical parabola with axis of symmetry [itex]x=12[/itex]. Therefore, where the domains overlap both curves are monotonic. So there is only one real solution.

BTW. Fixed point iteration of [itex]x = \frac{1}{12} (0.5*x^2 + 10 - \sqrt{7-x} )[/itex] gives this solution at about 0.640259457069546.

uart said:
I'm pretty sure that the original equation has just one real solution. Write it as:
[tex]\sqrt{7-x} = \frac{x^2}{2} - 12x + 10 [/tex]
and it's clear that the LHS is the upper half of a sideways parabola, with domain [itex]x \leq 7[/itex], while the RHS is a vertical parabola with axis of symmetry [itex]x=12[/itex]. Therefore, where the domains overlap both curves are monotonic. So there is only one real solution.

BTW. Fixed point iteration of [itex]x = \frac{1}{12} (0.5*x^2 + 10 - \sqrt{7-x} )[/itex] gives this solution at about 0.640259457069546.

Your comment about one solution threw me off. We had gone over the problem (graphically, of course) in class, and there were two solutions. I then noticed that I had typed the wrong equation, and simply copied it from my first post. I switched the signs:

[tex]\sqrt{7-x} = \frac{x^2}{2} + 12x - 10 [/tex]

should be correct. Wolfram Alpha confirms that there are two zeros here. Regardless of the signs, how would I find these solutions algebraically, without relying on the quartic formula?

Thanks!

Last edited:
drewfstr314 said:
Your comment about one solution through me off. We had gone over the problem (graphically, of course) in class, and there were two solutions. I then noticed that I had typed the wrong equation, and simply copied it from my first post. I switched the signs:

[tex]\sqrt{7-x} = \frac{x^2}{2} + 12x - 10 [/tex]

should be correct. Wolfram Alpha confirms that there are two zeros here. Regardless of the signs, how would I find these solutions algebraically, without relying on the quartic formula?

Thanks!

Yes obviously that changes things. The axis of symmetry of that parabola is x = -12, so that it is now possible for the [itex]\sqrt{7-x}[/itex] curve to intersect with both "sides" of the parabola (I haven't checked that it actually does, but will take your word for it). With the previously given equation however, this was simply not possible. :smile:

1. What is the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem is a mathematical rule that helps to find the rational roots of a polynomial equation. It states that if a polynomial has rational roots, then they must be of the form p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

2. When does the Rational Root Theorem fail?

The Rational Root Theorem fails when a polynomial does not have any rational roots. This means that the equation does not have any solutions that can be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

3. Why does the Rational Root Theorem fail?

The Rational Root Theorem fails because not all polynomials have rational roots. Some equations may have irrational or complex roots, which cannot be expressed as fractions of two integers. Additionally, the theorem only works for polynomials with integer coefficients.

4. How can I solve an equation when the Rational Root Theorem fails?

If the Rational Root Theorem fails, you can still use other methods to solve the equation. These methods may include factoring, using the quadratic formula, or graphing the equation to find the roots. However, these methods may not always yield exact solutions.

5. Are there any other theorems or rules for finding roots of polynomials?

Yes, there are other theorems and rules that can be used to find roots of polynomials, such as the Descartes' Rule of Signs, the Conjugate Root Theorem, and the Factor Theorem. These theorems may be useful if the Rational Root Theorem fails or if the equation has complex or non-rational roots.