When to use bayes theorem, and when to not.

In summary, The problem is asking you to calculate the percentage of policyholders that will renew at least one policy next year.
semidevil
Just need the 'auto' portion answered. this is more of a general question.

Homework Statement

(This is problem #7 on the sample actuarial exam P, soa 153)

An insurance company estimates that 40% of policyholders who have only an auto policy will renew next year and 60% of policyholders who have only a homeowners policy will renew next year. The company estimates that 80% of policyholders who have both an auto and a homeowners policy will renew at least one of those policies next year. Company records show that 65% of policyholders have an auto policy, 50% of policyholders have a homeowners policy, and 15% of policyholders have both an auto and a homeowners policy.

Using the company’s estimates, calculate the percentage of policyholders that will
renew at least one policy next year.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first time looking at this, my thought process was that I will break this up into cases and sum it all up:
Probability they will renew, given that they have Auto only (.5)
Probability they will renew, given that they have Homeowners only (.35)
Probability they will renew, given that they have Auto and Homeowners (.15)

And I immediately though "Bayes theorem." P[A given B] = P [AB]/ P

So for Auto, it would be P [ they renewed, and they have auto] / P [they have auto]. which would be .5/.4.

When I looked at the solution, it was not .5/.4, but it was .4 * .5. This actually makes sense intuitively (.4 of the .5), but I'm just in general, I don't quite understand when to apply Bayes theorem, and when to not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bayes' theorem isn't applicable here for a number reasons.

First off, P(A|B) = P(A ∩ B) / P(B) -- that's not Bayes' theorem. That is Kolmogorov's definition of conditional probability. Bayes' theorem is P(A|B) = P(B|A) P(A) / P(B). Bayes' theorem tells us how to revert the sense of the conditionality, that is, how to go from P(B|A) to P(A|B). While Bayes' theorem is a direct consequence of that definition, you shouldn't conflate the definition with Bayes' theorem. They are distinct things.

Secondly, the problem isn't to solve for the conditional probabilities. Those conditional probabilities are givens in this problem. For example "an insurance company estimates that 40% of policyholders who have only an auto policy will renew next year" is, in math, P(renewal | auto-only)=0.4.

Thirdly, the problem doesn't provide any information on the joint probabilities P(A ∩ B) or on the reverse sense conditional probabilities P(B|A). You can't use either the definition of conditional probability or Bayes' theorem here for the simple reason that both formulae require missing information.What this problem is asking you to solve is the total probability P(renewal). What's the total probability P(B) given some disjoint partitioning of the sample space {Ei}, and given probabilities P(B|Ei) and P(Ei) for each partition Ei?

1. What is Bayes theorem?

Bayes theorem is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of an event occurring based on prior knowledge or information. It is named after the English mathematician Thomas Bayes and is often used in statistics and data analysis.

2. When should Bayes theorem be used?

Bayes theorem should be used when there is prior knowledge or information available about the probability of an event, and new evidence or data is being considered. It is particularly useful in situations where the outcome of an event is uncertain and needs to be determined based on available information.

3. What are the advantages of using Bayes theorem?

One of the main advantages of using Bayes theorem is that it allows for the incorporation of prior knowledge or beliefs into the analysis, which can lead to more accurate and reliable results. It also provides a systematic and logical approach to updating probabilities as new evidence is obtained.

4. When should Bayes theorem not be used?

Bayes theorem may not be appropriate to use in situations where there is no prior knowledge or information available, or when the assumptions of the theorem are not met. It also may not be suitable for complex or large datasets, as the calculations involved can be time-consuming and difficult to perform.

5. Can Bayes theorem be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, Bayes theorem can be used in any scientific field where there is uncertainty and the need to make predictions or decisions based on available information. It has applications in fields such as medicine, psychology, economics, and more.