Where can I find research opportunities in physics and nuclear engineering?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
Winzer
Messages
597
Reaction score
0
Where are some good places to apply that I can get some expierence in research in?
Besides my school.
Note: I do not have any prevoius expierence and am a sophomore with an Engineering Physics degree declared.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:

Wow, an REU program I could only dream about. I don't think i would be able to pull that off though. I have seen the people that apply to those. They usually have 4.0's. I on the other hand only have a 3.7. I highly doubt I am qualified for that. But thank you.
Maybe when I am a junior or a senoir I will apply.

Thanks though.
ZapperZ said:
You may want to look at the DOE Internship as well, if you are a US citizen.

http://www.scied.science.doe.gov/SciEd/erulf/about.html

Zz.
This looks great. I am think of applying to NREL because I am a colorado resident.
How Los Alamos definatly looks like good also. I maight have to try for both.
Fermi and the Stanford linear accelerator are great but that's probably too competitive for me.

Thanks Zap
 
Last edited by a moderator:
All levels of experience and all levels of grades (ok, not failing grades...) get into REU programs.
 
Winzer said:
Wow, an REU program I could only dream about. I don't think i would be able to pull that off though. I have seen the people that apply to those. They usually have 4.0's. I on the other hand only have a 3.7. I highly doubt I am qualified for that. But thank you.
Maybe when I am a junior or a senoir I will apply.

I did a summer program after my junior year at Fermilab... without having a 4.0.
So, don't count yourself out too soon. Just apply.
 
ANL DOE Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships Program: http://www.dep.anl.gov/p_undergrad/summer.htm

Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships: http://www.surf.caltech.edu/

CPIMA Summer Undergraduate Research Experiences Program: http://www.stanford.edu/group/cpima//education/general_info.html

NASA Undergraduate Student Research Program: http://www.vsgc.odu.edu/Menu3_1_3.htm

NSF Science & Technology Centers (STCs) Undergraduate Research Experience: http://www.nsfstc.org/

NSA Signals Intelligence Collection & Collection Management Summer Intern Program: http://www.nsa.gov/careers/students_1.cfm

Others can be found at http://www.astromiror.org/opportunities.html.

Good luck!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Most are, since they are funded by the National Science Foundation, which only funds U.S. citizens and permanent residents. But some schools (Baylor, Montana State) are willing to take exceptional international candidates and fund them out of departmental funds.
 
I should mention that I also intend to declare a MS I Nuclear Engineering, my junior year.
 
Winzer said:
I should mention that I also intend to declare a MS I Nuclear Engineering, my junior year.

Here are two more links to programs with nuclear engineering research:

Bettis Summer Intern Program: http://www.bettislab.com/internprogram.html

U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission Summer Employment Program: http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/employment/student-prog/summer-prog-faq.html
 
Last edited by a moderator: