Help with David Bachman's A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms, 2nd Ed.

In summary: This is what the # signs in your text tell LaTeX to do.) If the differentiation can be done, then the integral is correct; if it can't, then the integral is incorrect.
nearc
Gold Member
this starts as a calculus question, but springs into where i can get help with david bachman's A GEOMETRIC APPROACH TO DIFFERENTIAL FORMS second edition.

looking at paul's notes cheat sheets http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/cheat_table.aspx we have##
\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^{2}-x^{2}}} = sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{a})+c
##

but this is different than wolfram http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integral&a=*C.integral-_*Calculator.dflt-&f2=1/sqrt(a^2-x^2)&f=Integral.integrand_1/sqrt(a^2-x^2)&a=*FVarOpt.1-_**-.***Integral.rangestart-.*Integral.rangeend--.**Integral.variable---.*--

however, all i really want to know is this correct?

## \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-a^{2}-x^{2}}} = sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-a^{2}}})+c ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get your TeX stuff to work right, put two # signs before and two after.

To compare the two different results for the integrals, consider a triangle with sides x, a, and ##\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}##. What angle is indicated by the ##\sin^{-1}()## version and what angle by the ##\tan^{-1}()## version?

Likes nearc
DEvens said:
To get your TeX stuff to work right, put two # signs before and two after.

To compare the two different results for the integrals, consider a triangle with sides x, a, and ##\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}##. What angle is indicated by the ##\sin^{-1}()## version and what angle by the ##\tan^{-1}()## version?

thanks, latex fixed, now i need to ponder the triangle approach

Re your second question, there was here years ago, a thread devoted to reading BACHMAN'S BOOK, and featuring the participation of the author. Perhaps it is still accessible.

mathwonk said:
Re your second question, there was here years ago, a thread devoted to reading BACHMAN'S BOOK, and featuring the participation of the author. Perhaps it is still accessible.

thanks, i think that was for first edition but I'm not sure

The integral with 1 - a2 - x2 under the square root sign is just the same basic integral as the original one with just a2 - x2 under the the square too sign, if you substitute the expression 1 - a2 for the expression a2.

Of course, in any expression, anything under a square root sign is required to be non-negative. In the first example, should that be an "a" on the RHS, or perhaps a |a| ? (An "a" alone could be either positive or negative.)

The easiest way to check if an indefinite integration is correct is to check whether the putative integral can be differentiated to arrive at the integrand.

1. What is the main focus of "A Geometric Approach to Differential Forms, 2nd Ed."?

The main focus of this book is to provide a geometric and intuitive understanding of differential forms, which are mathematical objects used to study multivariable calculus and differential geometry.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in differential forms?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts from the basics and gradually builds up to more advanced concepts. It also includes many examples and exercises to help readers gain a thorough understanding of the material.

3. Does this book cover both the theory and applications of differential forms?

Yes, this book covers both the theory and applications of differential forms. It explains the underlying geometric concepts and also shows how they are used in various areas of mathematics and physics.

4. Is prior knowledge of multivariable calculus required to understand this book?

Some prior knowledge of multivariable calculus is recommended but not required. The book does include a brief review of the necessary concepts and builds upon them throughout the chapters.

5. Are there any online resources available for this book?

Yes, the author has a website where readers can find additional resources such as solutions to selected exercises, errata, and supplementary material. There are also many online forums and study groups dedicated to discussing this book and its concepts.