1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I learn Quick math - Help

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    Where can I learn "Quick" math - Help

Hi,

I don't mave MUCH of a Math back ground, mainly math used for the line of work I am in (Currency Analyst) and programming.

However, i was just inspired by a film I watched about a math expert, who can do calculations in his head like 89 x 437, in like 5 seconds.

Is there a site, or anything learning material that teaches you "Qucik" math that you can do in your head? I am not sure If I am explaining my self correct here, so just let me know. If not, ill try to be more specific.

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    Hummm, you might be out of luck, unless you're a savant genius. If your looking to impress the ladies, I don't think that's the best way :rofl:

4. May 26, 2007 #3
    Hey

Yea thought so :)

I don't mean I want to do the calculation in my head in 5 seconds, just being able to do large multiplication calculations in my head you know.

I thought I seen once a website that had a program that can teach you to do large multiplication calculations...hmmm, could be wrong.

Thanks anyways, appreciate it!

5. May 26, 2007 #4
    I know there are a few tricks to doing things like that in your head but I have forgotten them. The best way though would just be to practice. Start small and just slowly build up to larger numbers.

6. May 26, 2007 #5
    read tractenbergs book.

7. May 26, 2007 #6
    I read once, years ago, of a guy who, while being in a Nazi concentration camp, perfected a mental math system, and wrote a book on it. (Also I read of some guy who used to do a lot of mental math to stay mentally active, while in a Japanese concentation camp.) But at this point I can not remember more.

tronter: read tractenbergs book.

PS: I see tronter is correct: "Mental math system was developed during the Second World War in the Nazi Concentration Camp by a Ukrainian Mathematician Jakow Trachtenberg"

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  8. May 26, 2007 #7
    Hey

Have you read Trachtenberg's book? Can you tell me a little about it, before I drop $90 on it :) ?

Thanks!

9. May 26, 2007 #8
    what kind of "quick math" are you talking about? just number crunching?

10. May 26, 2007 #9
    Mainly large multiplication - 3943 x 94 , 12 x 385, and so on for a start.

11. May 26, 2007 #10
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  12. May 26, 2007 #11
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  13. May 26, 2007 #12
    i have read it. it is very good. i still remember the chapter about multiplying numbers by 11 from 10 years ago.

14. May 26, 2007 #13

ranger

Gold Member

Look into Vedic Mathematics. Its pretty simple once you learn the rules and do a lot of practice (with emphasis on practice).

I've seen 6 year old kids that can do huge amounts of number crunching in a few seconds. Its amazing! My mom is an instructor for such programs. (http://www.ucmas.com/). But you have to start from a very young age.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  15. Aug 22, 2007 #14

Hi the_force,
    I figured it out that you are in need of basic mathematics.

Well Mental Math at https://www.esumz.com adds to online Mathematics.

This will help you out in learning Mathematics basics.

Cheers!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook