Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I learn Quick math - Help

1. May 25, 2007 #1
    Where can I learn "Quick" math - Help

Hi,

I don't mave MUCH of a Math back ground, mainly math used for the line of work I am in (Currency Analyst) and programming.

However, i was just inspired by a film I watched about a math expert, who can do calculations in his head like 89 x 437, in like 5 seconds.

Is there a site, or anything learning material that teaches you "Qucik" math that you can do in your head? I am not sure If I am explaining my self correct here, so just let me know. If not, ill try to be more specific.

Any help would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2007 #2
    Hummm, you might be out of luck, unless you're a savant genius. If your looking to impress the ladies, I don't think that's the best way :rofl:

4. May 26, 2007 #3
    Hey

Yea thought so :)

I don't mean I want to do the calculation in my head in 5 seconds, just being able to do large multiplication calculations in my head you know.

I thought I seen once a website that had a program that can teach you to do large multiplication calculations...hmmm, could be wrong.

Thanks anyways, appreciate it!

5. May 26, 2007 #4
    I know there are a few tricks to doing things like that in your head but I have forgotten them. The best way though would just be to practice. Start small and just slowly build up to larger numbers.

6. May 26, 2007 #5
    read tractenbergs book.

7. May 26, 2007 #6
    I read once, years ago, of a guy who, while being in a Nazi concentration camp, perfected a mental math system, and wrote a book on it. (Also I read of some guy who used to do a lot of mental math to stay mentally active, while in a Japanese concentation camp.) But at this point I can not remember more.

tronter: read tractenbergs book.

PS: I see tronter is correct: "Mental math system was developed during the Second World War in the Nazi Concentration Camp by a Ukrainian Mathematician Jakow Trachtenberg"

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  8. May 26, 2007 #7
    Hey

Have you read Trachtenberg's book? Can you tell me a little about it, before I drop $90 on it :) ?

Thanks!

9. May 26, 2007 #8
    what kind of "quick math" are you talking about? just number crunching?

10. May 26, 2007 #9
    Mainly large multiplication - 3943 x 94 , 12 x 385, and so on for a start.

11. May 26, 2007 #10
  12. May 26, 2007 #11
  13. May 26, 2007 #12
    i have read it. it is very good. i still remember the chapter about multiplying numbers by 11 from 10 years ago.

14. May 26, 2007 #13

ranger

Gold Member

Look into Vedic Mathematics. Its pretty simple once you learn the rules and do a lot of practice (with emphasis on practice).

I've seen 6 year old kids that can do huge amounts of number crunching in a few seconds. Its amazing! My mom is an instructor for such programs. (http://www.ucmas.com/). But you have to start from a very young age.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  15. Aug 22, 2007 #14

Hi the_force,
    I figured it out that you are in need of basic mathematics.

Well Mental Math at https://www.esumz.com adds to online Mathematics.

This will help you out in learning Mathematics basics.

Cheers!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?