Where did I go wrong (torque/moment problem)

• Thread starter FaroukYasser
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque produced by the weight of a bob on a pendulum. The solution involves finding the components of the weight force and using trigonometry to calculate the perpendicular distance to the pivot. The resulting torque is then determined using the equation torque = force x perpendicular distance. The discrepancy between the calculated torque and the answer in the textbook suggests an error in the textbook's calculations.
FaroukYasser

Homework Statement

24vsbgg.gif

In the figure above, what is the torque about the pendulum’s suspension point produced
by the weight of the bob, given that the mass is 40 cm below the suspension point,
measured vertically, and m = 0.50 kg ? (let g = 10 ms^-2 for easier calculations)

Homework Equations

Torque = force x perpendicular distance to the pivot

The Attempt at a Solution

I first got the components of the Weight force:
hu4qzc.gif

And I got L using trigonometry:
sin60 = 0.4/L
L = 0.4/sin60
L = (4root3)/15 which is about 0.463

Now torque = F x Perpendicular distance =
5cos60 x L = 5cos60 x 0.463 = 1.15 N.m

But the answer is 2 N.m in the textbook! where have I gone wrong?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you've gone wrong, I think the textbook has. It looks like they used the wrong angle or the wrong trig function for the calculation of the force component perpendicular to L. Your result looks okay to me.

1. What is torque/moment problem?

Torque/moment problem is a type of mechanical problem that involves the calculation of forces and moments acting on a rigid body. It is commonly encountered in engineering and physics, and refers to the difficulty in determining the cause of a failure or incorrect result.

2. How do I know if I have a torque/moment problem?

If you are experiencing unexpected or incorrect results in a mechanical system, it is possible that you have a torque/moment problem. This could manifest as a structural failure, incorrect force or torque calculations, or unexpected behavior of a system.

3. What are the common causes of torque/moment problems?

Some common causes of torque/moment problems include errors in measurements or assumptions, incorrect application of mathematical formulas, and neglecting to consider all the forces and moments acting on a system. It can also be caused by material defects, improper design, or external factors such as temperature or vibration.

4. How do I solve a torque/moment problem?

Solving a torque/moment problem involves carefully analyzing all the forces and moments acting on a system, and applying the principles of mechanics and mathematics to determine the cause of the problem. It may also require physical testing or simulations to confirm the solution.

5. How can I prevent torque/moment problems in the future?

To prevent torque/moment problems, it is important to carefully consider all the forces and moments acting on a system during the design and analysis phase. It is also crucial to double-check calculations and assumptions, and to perform physical testing or simulations to confirm the results. Using high-quality materials and following industry standards can also help prevent torque/moment problems.