Where did this formula come from?

• Thread starter XwakeriderX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the homework statement is about finding the final velocity of a bullet, and then someone else helped to find a formula for it.
XwakeriderX

Homework Statement

In the attachment problem i was able to find the final velocity, from there someone helped me and got a formula that really confuses me. μ(m + M)g *x = 1/2(m + M) v^2

Homework Equations

All the work is write and the answer i just don't understand how they got
μ(m + M)g *x = 1/2(m + M) v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The mass of the bulet m = 125g = 0.125kg

the mass of the block M = 5kg

the speed of the bullet vi = 300m/s

from law of conservation of momentum

mvi = (m + M)vf

then vf = mvi / (m + M)

= (0.125)(300)/(0.125 + 5)

= 7.32 m/s

Now from work energy theorem

W = ΔK

therefore the distance traveled

x = v^2 / μg = (7.32)^2 / (0.25)(9.8)(2) = 10.9 m

Attachments

• Sliding friction block.jpg
    Sliding friction block.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
XwakeriderX said:

Homework Statement

In the attachment problem i was able to find the final velocity, from there someone helped me and got a formula that really confuses me. μ(m + M)g *x = 1/2(m + M) v^2

Homework Equations

All the work is write and the answer i just don't understand how they got

The equation comes from
Now from work energy theorem

W = ΔK

therefore the distance traveled

x = v^2 / μg = (7.32)^2 / (0.25)(9.8)(2) = 10.9 m
Are you familiar with the work energy theorem, which states that the total work done on an object is equal to its change in kinetic energy? If not, you can use Newton's 2nd law to find the acceleration, and then use the kinematic motion equations to find the distance traveled.

Hmm i found that W=FD and Fk=μkmg therefore W=μkmgD
Now i used W=(1/2)mv^2 then set them equal to each other then solved for D. It worked for me i hope I am not breaking any rules! I'll also try your way! Thanks!

1. Where did this formula originate from?

The origin of a formula can vary depending on the specific formula in question. Some formulas have been developed and refined over time through experimentation and observation, while others may have been derived from mathematical principles or theoretical models.

2. How was this formula discovered?

Formulas are typically discovered through a combination of experimentation, observation, and mathematical reasoning. Scientists may conduct experiments to collect data, which is then analyzed and used to develop a formula that accurately describes the relationship between different variables.

3. Who is credited with creating this formula?

The person or group credited with creating a formula may vary depending on the specific formula and its history. Some formulas have been developed and refined by multiple scientists over time, while others may be credited to a single individual or team.

4. What evidence supports the use of this formula?

The evidence supporting the use of a formula can also vary depending on the specific formula in question. In general, formulas are supported by experimental data and their ability to accurately predict and explain observations or phenomena.

5. Can this formula be applied to other situations?

Many formulas are versatile and can be applied to various situations, while others may only be applicable under specific conditions. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the limitations and assumptions of a formula before applying it to a new situation.