Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do these constants in equations come from?

1. Nov 30, 2007 #1
    Something I've always wondered: how did Physicists and Mathematicians of years past discover equations with these integer (and even fraction) constants in them?

Take for example the mean-square-speed equation:
    [tex]\mu \equiv \sqrt{\frac{3RT}{M_{m}}}[/tex]

or Kinetic Energy:
    How do they discover this 3 and .5? It seems arbitrary.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This 3 comes from dimensionality of space... which plays a role in the statistical treatment of the ideal gas law.
    This .5 comes from the integral of v dv, which arises from the definition of work and Newton's Second Law.

These relations are derived from first principles...
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  4. Nov 30, 2007 #3

The integer and even fraction constants are usually pretty apparent when you go through a derivation.
  5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

Staff: Mentor

Hyperphysics is one good site to explore some of these questions, e.g.

6. Dec 1, 2007 #5
    Thanks for the links Astronuc.

Something I forgot to leave out of my original post is my surprise at how often it turns out to be an integer (or simple fraction) that it is multiplied by.
    Although I guess going through and deriving it shows why.
  7. Dec 1, 2007 #6
    When it comes to empirical investigation of constants, remember that, say, 100000000000000000000/100000000000000000001, is pretty close to 1. It is convenience to choose one; and the fact that there is no measurable difference.
  8. Dec 2, 2007 #7
    its not ALWAYS an integer... A famous number for example is the golden ratio, which is like (1+sqr(5))/2 ~= 1.62
    Or... number pi? Area of Circle = pi*r^2 ?
    Many times in formulas you have square roots of things, which are irrational numbers... there are PLENTY of examples where the constants are not integers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?