1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does exp(-4pi^2) appear in physics?

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    This is a somewhat unusual question.
    I am looking for any physics problem
    in which the number or factor exp(-4pi^2)
    appears.

If you know one, I'd like to hear about it!

François

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given a potential described as -exp(-x), what is the work done against the potential when moving a unit mass from infinity to x = 4\pi^2 ?

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Introduce the new mass unit, [itex]\hat{m}\equiv{m}{e}^{4\pi^{2}}[/itex], where m is the standard unit of mass.

Then, Newton's second law of motion reads:
    [tex]F=e^{-4\pi^{2}}\hat{m}a[/tex]

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's one that's less arbitrary: the solution of

[tex]\frac{\partial u(x,t)}{\partial t}=\frac{\partial^2 u(t,x)}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

is

[tex]u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty A_n\exp^{-(n\pi/L)^2t}\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex]

where [itex]A_n[/itex] is calculated from the initial conditions. But the upshot is, because the above equation governs heat diffusion by conduction, if you had a bar of material with length 0.5 m, thermal diffusivity 1 m2 s-1, end temperatures of 0°C (i.e., [itex]u(0,t)=u(L,t)=0[/itex]), and an initial sinusoidal temperature distribution with maximum temperature 1°C (i.e., [itex]u(x,0)=\sin(\pi x/L)[/itex]), the temperature at the midpoint after 1 second is predicted to be [itex]\exp(-4\pi^2)[/itex], which is the term you're looking for.

6. Aug 15, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How is that less arbitrary? You still have to pick a material with the right size and properties.

7. Aug 15, 2009 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's less arbitrary because the exponential function and the [itex]\pi^2[/itex] term come out of the physics rather than being input as variables or functions, as in the other two cases (although we do need to specify a sinusoidal initial temperature distribution). And the values aren't fixed; it could be a [itex]10\,\mu m[/itex] long microfabricated silicon beam (thermal diffusivity [itex]8\times 10^{-5}\,\mathrm{m^2}\,\mathrm{s^{-1}}[/itex]) after [itex]5\,\mu s[/itex], for example. Don't you think it's interesting that the [itex]\pi^2[/itex] emerges naturally here?

8. Aug 15, 2009 #7

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not really. Pretty much any time-harmonic or complex number system you can probably easily massage out an exp(\pi) and exp(\pi^2) dependence of some kind. I could specify a transmission line and given a certain length and loss I could get you an attenuation of exp(-4\pi^2).

The OP is just posing a really bad question. It is completely arbitrary because, like arildno shows, when it comes to picking out a constant you can get it from just about any kind of equation from judicious choice of your units, scale, or choice of parameters.

9. Aug 15, 2009 #8

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Go for it! That's what the poster seems to be looking for: physical circumstances in which the term arises naturally. Maybe he or she saw the term on a blackboard once, or a poster (or a tattoo!), and wants to know what the context might have been. I don't know. But I don't think it's a bad question; in fact, I was looking forward to comparing the responses to get a sense of the... grand interconnectedness of physics. Consider it a challenge: what's the least amount of massaging needed to get [itex]\exp(-4\pi^2)[/itex], without inputting it directly?

10. Aug 15, 2009 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"physical circumstances in which the term arises naturally"

What is natural, or unnatural about a particular choice of length scale??

Yet, they are also part of physics..:smile:

11. Aug 15, 2009 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Getting a pi^2 is not horribly difficult; have a 4 or 5 dimensional volume in phase space. You'll have to turn a 1/2 or an 8/15 into a 4, but that shouldn't be hard. Then find a reason to exponentiate it...e.g. as a partition function.

This is contrived, of course, but no more so than a length of one meter, time of one second, capacitance of one farad, etc.

As far as the context, I fear it's not a blackboard, poster or tattoo. A search of other messages here will perhaps provide some enlightenment.

12. Aug 15, 2009 #11

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, got it. I was originally thinking it was something innocuous like https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=257304".

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook