Where does the center of mass lie when one mass is heavier?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
daniel1211
Messages
27
Reaction score
1
i am having some trouble understanding the concepts of center of mass for example using the equation (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) if m2>m1 what would be the center of mass i am not sure where to even begin
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct equation. You need the two masses (m1 and m2) and their position vectors (x1 and x2). Once you have those, applying the equation is very simple math.
 
Without anymore information I think the only thing we could see is that the COM would be on the same plane as m1 and m2 and between the two masses but a little closer to m2 since it is the larger of the two.
 
daniel1211 said:
i am having some trouble understanding the concepts of center of mass for example using the equation (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) if m2>m1 what would be the center of mass i am not sure where to even begin

I recommend that you follow the derivation for the expression for the center of mass at a web page I created just to explain this subject. Its at

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/mech/center_of_mass.htm

Try it for the case of two particles.

I'll be glad to help further if needed.

Pete
 
daniel1211 - I want to welcome you to the Physics Forums! :smile:

My all your experiences here be good ones.

Pete