Centripetal Acceleration of two masses when one mass is half a radius away

In summary, the equation for centripetal acceleration is aci=(1/2)Rω2. Mass 1 has less acceleration because it is located at a distance of (1/2)R from the axis of rotation.
anomalocaris

Homework Statement

Two objects, m1 and m2, both of mass m, are place on a horizontal platform which is rotating at a constant angular velocity. m1 is located at a distance R from the axis of rotation and m2 is located at a R. The centripetal acceleration of mass m1 ____ to the centripetal acceleration of m2.

Homework Equations

aci=rω2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay,the correct answer (according to my homework) should be "less than," but I do not understand why. Here's what I did:

Mass 1: aci=(1/2)Rω2
so (2aci)=Rω2
Mass 2: aci=Rω2

So shouldn't mass 1 have more centripetal acceleration? Or should I not have brought the (1/2) to the other side of the equation. My professor gives a lot of questions like this, and I seem to always get them wrong because I make them more complicated than they should be. But it makes sense that an object farther away from the center of rotation should have more acceleration since it would be traveling a greater distance in a larger circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi anomalocaris! :smile:
anomalocaris said:
Two objects, m1 and m2, both of mass m, are place on a horizontal platform which is rotating at a constant angular velocity. m1 is located at a distance R from the axis of rotation and m2 is located at a R. The centripetal acceleration of mass m1 ____ to the centripetal acceleration of m2.

Mass 1: aci=(1/2)Rω2
so (2aci)=Rω2
Mass 2: aci=Rω2

So shouldn't mass 1 have more centripetal acceleration? Or should I not have brought the (1/2) to the other side of the equation. My professor gives a lot of questions like this, and I seem to always get them wrong because I make them more complicated than they should be. But it makes sense that an object farther away from the center of rotation should have more acceleration since it would be traveling a greater distance in a larger circle.

(i take it you mean m2 is located at 2 R ?)

yes, your common-sense is correct :smile:

i honestly don't see how you got the opposite result, even from those equations

but anyway i strongly recommend that you don't use the same letter for two different things …

in this case, call the accelerations a1 and a2 (and not both aci), and then you can put them both into the same equation, and compare them! :wink:

Okay! Thanks tiny-tim! So Should I live a1=(1/2)ω^2? Not 2a1=a1=(1/2)ω^2 ? Because that would make a2 the smaller one?

Thank you!

tiny-tim said:

(i take it you mean m2 is located at 2 R ?)

Oh I see the problem here. I copied and pasted the question, so it left out that m1 is a distance of (1/2)R and m2 is just at R. Sorry for the confusion! :smile:

anomalocaris said:
Okay! Thanks tiny-tim! So Should I leave a1=(1/2)ω^2? Not 2a1=a1=(1/2)ω^2 ? Because that would make a2 the smaller one?

Thank you!

it really doesn't matter, so long as you end up with an equation with a1 on the LHS and a2 on the RHS :wink:

Wow embarrassing typographical error! Sometimes I type faster than I think!

Why should they be on opposite sides? How would this look? Sorry for all these questions, I'm probably making a simple concept more complicated, but I just want to understand this since this kind of problem is helpful for solving all kinds of other problems.

anomalocaris said:
Why should they be on opposite sides? How would this look?

you're aiming for an equation 2a1 = a2

it doesn't matter how you get there (there's more than one way)

anyway, try it and see :smile:

Okay so then a1=(a2/2)? But either way, a1 is greater than a2. The "correct" answer states that a1<a2. Sometimes the HW keys are wrong though.

anomalocaris said:
Okay so then a1=(a2/2)? But either way, a1 is greater than a2.

no, a1=(a2/2) means a1 is less than a2 :confused:

OH! :redface: Epiphany moment! Okay I finally get it! a2 is greater because half of it would be equal to one whole a1. Thanks for sticking with me, tiny-tim! I really really appreciate it! :smile:

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is caused by the centripetal force acting on the object.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to the radius of the circle?

Centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of the object and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius of the circle decreases, the centripetal acceleration increases.

3. What happens to the centripetal acceleration when one mass is half a radius away from the other mass?

The centripetal acceleration experienced by both masses will decrease when one mass is half a radius away from the other mass. This is because the distance between the masses increases, resulting in a decrease in the centripetal force acting on each mass.

4. How does the mass of the two objects affect the centripetal acceleration?

The mass of the two objects has no effect on the centripetal acceleration. This is because the centripetal acceleration is only dependent on the velocity and the radius of the circular path, not the mass of the objects.

5. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration of two masses when one mass is half a radius away?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration of two masses when one mass is half a radius away is a = (m1m2/r^2) * (1/2) where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and r is the radius of the circular path.