Where does the Energy that reaches the Earth Go?

In summary, the conversation discusses where the energy from the sun goes on Earth and how it affects the planet's temperature. It is determined that most of the energy is radiated back into space and any excess energy is used for plant growth or other processes, not converted to heat. It is also suggested that human influence on the energy balance is minimal and will eventually pass. The discussion concludes with a clarification on the Second Law of Thermodynamics and its relation to energy conversion and accumulation.
spartan711
Hello,

I've been thinking about something that recently has puzzled me. There is a net increase in the energy on the Earth from the sun. Where does this energy go? I assume it either goes to bonds, such as to produce biomass, or heat. However, does that mean long-term, the Earth's fate is to accumulate oil everywhere or get very hot?

Factoring in blackbody effects, does this mean that Earth's temperature is steady-state, and a certain percentage of the energy coming in is turning to biomass? If so, what are the effects of humans burning such biomass, and converting it to heat? Does this simply shift Earth's black body steady state temperature to a higher value?

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions. I'm leaving the Earth's core out of this because there's no need to consider such crazy timescales (at least, I hope not). And I'm assuming it doesn't contribute significantly to the energy balance. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the energy the Earth receives from the sun gets radiated back into space. The Earth is approximately a blackbody at about 300K, so it radiates power at a rate of
[tex] 4 \pi r^2 \sigma T^4[/tex]
In fact, if you calculate the energy the Earth receives from the sun and set it equal to the above and use this to solve for the surface temperature of the Earth, you come reasonably close to the actual temperature (within 50 degrees or so).

The amount of heat that the Earth absorbs from the Sun, in addition to any heat generated internally by radioactive decay, is equal to the energy radiated away by blackbody radiation. Any energy that is used to grow plants, break bonds, etc is not converted to heat.

I mean we've done the balance for our engineering class, and I understand that most of the energy transfer is dominated by blackbody effects.

I think this is a better question: Does the energy absorbed by plants on Earth get accounted for in the blackbody balances?

The source of this question is a thought experiment - "What if humans did not exist?". Plants would keep growing, dinosaurs would keep eating them, and dying, and making oil. Would the whole world eventually be filled with oil eventually?

spartan711 said:
I mean we've done the balance for our engineering class, and I understand that most of the energy transfer is dominated by blackbody effects.

I think this is a better question: Does the energy absorbed by plants on Earth get accounted for in the blackbody balances?

The source of this question is a thought experiment - "What if humans did not exist?". Plants would keep growing, dinosaurs would keep eating them, and dying, and making oil. Would the whole world eventually be filled with oil eventually?

In the grand scheme of things, the total amount of energy stored on Earth as fossil fuels and the biosphere corresponds to a few days of the Sun's input over billions of years. It can't be significant to the energy balance equation you are describing. Animals and bacteria are converting the energy that has been stored by photosynthesis. There will be fluctuations in the balance of producers and consumers in the biosphere and these will affect the balance but to a very small degree. Humans are making a bit of a difference at the moment but that will pass, eventually. Fossil fuels are being laid down continually but will come to the surface, eventually and broken down by organisms (they will evolve to use an energy resource). But it is such a tiny fraction of the whole process.

energy_balance.jpg

spartan711 said:
What does one thing have to do with the other? Regardless of what you actually are driving at, the influence of humans is lost in the error margins of such a question. We just haven't been around long enough to have a major impact on the issue.

For example, the dinosaurs have been gone for 65,000,000 years, while humans have been around for about 20,000... roughly 0.03% of that time.

thanks for the great answers. I think I was getting confused from my thermo class, which we talked about the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Sometimes it just gets jumbled up what can be converted, or accumulated, or generated...:)

1. Where does the energy that reaches the Earth come from?

The majority of the energy that reaches the Earth comes from the Sun. The Sun releases energy through a process called nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms combine to form helium and release large amounts of energy in the process. This energy travels through space in the form of electromagnetic radiation, and a small portion reaches the Earth.

2. How does the Earth receive energy from the Sun?

The energy from the Sun reaches the Earth through a process called radiation. The Sun emits energy in the form of electromagnetic radiation, which includes visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation. This energy travels through space and reaches the Earth, where it is absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere and surface.

3. What happens to the energy that reaches the Earth?

The energy that reaches the Earth is either absorbed, reflected, or scattered. Some of the energy is absorbed by the Earth's atmosphere and surface, which helps to warm the planet. Some of the energy is also reflected back into space by clouds, aerosols, and the Earth's surface. A small portion of the energy is scattered in different directions by particles in the atmosphere.

4. How does the Earth maintain a balance of energy?

The Earth maintains a balance of energy through a process called the Earth's energy budget. This means that the amount of energy that enters the Earth's system from the Sun is equal to the amount of energy that is radiated back into space. This balance is maintained through processes such as absorption, reflection, and scattering, as well as the Earth's natural processes such as the water cycle and the carbon cycle.

5. How does human activity affect the energy balance of the Earth?

Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, can affect the Earth's energy balance. These activities release large amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, which can trap more heat and contribute to global warming. This can disrupt the Earth's energy balance and lead to changes in climate patterns, such as increased temperatures and extreme weather events.