Where does the extra factor of 3 come from in this e^(2x)cos(2x) integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
TSN79
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to perform the following integral
[tex] \pi \int\limits_0^\pi {e^{2x} } \left( {\frac{1}{2} - \frac{1}{2}\cos 2x} \right)dx[/tex]
I split the integral and temporarely ignore the Pi so that I get
[tex] \frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} dx} - \frac{1}{2}\int {e^{2x} \cdot \cos } \left( {2x} \right)dx[/tex]
Now, using partial integration on the second part I get
[tex] \int {e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx[/tex]
Using partial integration again on the right integral I get
[tex] \int {\sin \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) + \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx} [/tex]
I appears I haven't gotten anywhere, but I can now combine the last two lines and get
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - (\frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} - \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} \left. {dx} \right)} \\ <br /> 2\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} } \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\ <br /> \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]
Finally, multiplying in the Pi and the first initial half of the integral:
[tex] \pi \cdot \left( {\frac{1}{4}e^{2x} - \frac{1}{2}\left( {\frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} \right)} \right)[/tex]
Putting in Pi and 0 for x, and subtracting the two, I arrive at this expression:
[tex] \frac{{3\pi \left( {e^{2\pi } - 1} \right)}}{8}[/tex]
The problem is that this factor 3 shouldn't be there. If you just perform the initial integration on a calculator the answer is the same except for the factor 3, so where am I going wrong here?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You messed up a couple minus signs. I'm going to copy and paste your code with corrections.
[tex] \begin{array}{l}<br /> \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) - (-\frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right)} + \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} \left. {dx} \right)} \\ <br /> 2\int {\cos \left( {2x} \right) \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} } \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{2}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\ <br /> \int {\cos \left( {2x} \right)} \cdot e^{2x} dx = \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \sin \left( {2x} \right) + \frac{1}{4}e^{2x} \cdot \cos \left( {2x} \right) \\ <br /> \end{array}[/tex]

That should point you in right direction. Eventually, you should have something like this:

[tex] \left.\frac{1}{4} \mathrm{e}^{2x} \right|_0^\pi - \left.\frac{1}{8}\mathrm{e}^{2x}\left(\cos 2x + \sin 2x\right)\right|_0^\pi[/tex]

So, you'll get something: 2Y - Y = Y where Y is the answer you expect.
 
Last edited: