Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where have you met your significant other?

1. at bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. at party

5.4%
  3. at work

10.8%
  4. at school/university

35.1%
  5. friends of friends

16.2%
  6. on a blind date

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. internet

16.2%
  8. street/shopping...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. other

16.2%
  1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    so i wanted to know where and how you people have met your boyfriend/girlfriend and where and how you would prefer to meet yours in the future?
    personally i just prefer to date only people whom i know from work , school and friends.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    I voted for at school/university. I was in the beginners course at a language school in Tokyo and not learning anything. I had already decided to finish out the month I had paid for and then go to a different school. One day the teacher called in sick and the management told us we could either go home, or sit in on the intermediate course. I found that I could keep up with the class and the teacher was much better. I met my wife in that class.

4. Nov 12, 2009 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

What do you mean by significant other?? (is this only for married people?)

5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    I met my husband on line, on a animal rescue web page that featured a chat. After a year of conversing on line, we agreed to meet in person at a place of my choosing, the lobby of a police department. We have been married 5 years now.

6. Nov 12, 2009 #5
    In the pub of course.I didn't know there were other places.:smile:

7. Nov 12, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I'm going to hold off answering this until I have time to explain it. For now, I'm going to bed.

8. Nov 12, 2009 #7

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

9. Nov 12, 2009 #8
    High school physics prep room. :smile:

10. Nov 12, 2009 #9
    And you just clicked?

11. Nov 12, 2009 #10

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I met my wife when I was interviewing for the job that I have now. One of my departmental colleagues-to-be was showing me around campus, and we stopped in the mail room in the administration building so he could pick up his mail. There we found my wife-to-be who was also picking up her mail, so he introduced us.

12. Nov 12, 2009 #11

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You only allow one option.

Met current gf on a dating website. Previous gf through work. Previous through friends. Previous I technically met in a diner, but still probably more aptly through friend of friends (my friend picked up her girlfriend at a diner after the bars closed and we wound up seeing each other fairly frequently through them - a case where the wingman/wingwoman wound up dating longer than the two that initially hooked up).

13. Nov 12, 2009 #12

fluidistic

Gold Member

Similar to hypatia. I met her in a software used to download music. There was a chat in it. A year after I had made the trip from France to Argentina. I'm living with her since August of 2006.
    That's my first girlfriend by the way. Without internet I wouldn't have any success.

14. Nov 12, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

I had dated her friend/roommate and had been out on a blind date with her sister before I met her.

15. Nov 12, 2009 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you cheated on both her best friend and her sister and she was still willing to date you?

16. Nov 12, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

She knew that her friend and I and her sister and I didn't "click" and didn't have additional dates after the first one.

On our first date, I picked her up on my motorcycle (my only mode of transportation) and we went to the state fair. I got a flat rear tire, and she stayed with my bike for a couple of hours while I trudged around and found a place that was open on a Sunday that had tools and tube-patching supplies so I could fix the flat. When I got back to the bike and she was still there (and happy to see me) I figured she was a keeper.

17. Nov 12, 2009 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I met mine at the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for a wedding, and after the rehearsal dinner was over, we hung out all night at the hotel bar (until closing time), then spent a little while longer walking around outside the hotel and talking. So, I think it was a party and a bar and friends-of-friends. Hmm...maybe that's the trifecta to strive for. It seems to be working.

18. Nov 12, 2009 #17
    I confess I was a really lousy single person. No, we didn't just click, I was terrified of meeting someone on line. He really had to work on it.

We had some common interests, love of nature, being outdoors and working on vintage automobiles. I found his occupation boring, his manor of speech and conversation skills lacking. But he was persistent in his wooing, and he discovered my weakness. This man can make me laugh.

19. Nov 12, 2009 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I met my love here on the forum.

20. Nov 12, 2009 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shame jimmy couldn't make you laugh :tongue:

I'm the same as Evo coincidentally.

21. Nov 12, 2009 #20
    please do share the story in detail :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook