1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is multivariable calculus applied?

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    I have to do a calculus project by researching somewhere it's applied and writing about it and explaining it thoroughly.

I was thinking multivariable calculus / vector calculus was used in satellite orbit math, but I could not find enough on this.

Any ideas on where else it's applied that I could possibly write about?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2012 #2
    it is used heavily in classical electromagnetism. Look up maxwell's equations.
    And yes it is used in orbits. Classical mechanics.

4. Jun 18, 2012 #3
    Computer Graphics.

5. Jun 18, 2012 #4
    Statistics? Statistical mechanics? Only problem is, maybe those applications start to use very different notations, so harder to recognize the vector calculus? But I don't know enough about those areas to be sure of a connection.

6. Jun 18, 2012 #5
    I agree with cragar that it is used a lot in electromagnetism. Also, partial derivatives and linearizations can be used to estimate values that depends on multiple variables. For instance, a heat index gives the perceived temperature at a certain temperature and humidity. The perceived temperatures at actual temperatures and humidities not given in the table can be estimated with linearizations.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook